[NatureNS] Robins and potential vagrants

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:47:19 -0400
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
Cc: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

All:

David Johnston's message re robins is of wider interest. There is an
unsubstantiated view that Am. Robins appearing here in winter are
"Newfoundland
robins." This could be true, but there would be no way of distinguishing them.
The so called Black-backed robin (formerly a separate subspecies _nigrideus_)
perhaps has a centre of breeding range in Ungava (although can nest in
NS), but
in my experience pass through earlier in fall and later in spring and are not
seen among wintering birds here. Bruce Mactavish tells me that black-backed
birds are rare on "the Rock."

Anyway, the reason for the preamble is that N.L. has been getting the benefits
of earlier atypical strong westerly airflow from deep-frozen W. Europe and the
British Isles, and it has brought at least three N. Lapwings and a (Eur.)
Redwing consorting with robins on the Avalon Pen. So, any winter concentration
of riobins should be looked at carefully to see if one of the latter has made
its way here. As for Lapwings, they should be quite visible and vocal if they
tuern up.

You can follow the Avalon saga on the NL birds e-mail group:

    http://groups.google.ca/group/nf.birds/topics

Or, you can get a variety of stuff (including photos) from Dave Brown's blog:

    http://birdingnewfoundland.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Ian McLaren