[NatureNS] ID Assistance request (+ Sharp-shinned vs Cooper's id)

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:56:27 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e64697b096baac047d0f7eec

Hi again,

Fulton Lavender mentioned to me another field mark, which I can't find in
any book or on the web. If you get a good frontal look at the bird, in
Coopers the top of the cere extends just above the level of the top of the
eye, and in Sharpie it is below that level. He says it's a pretty good and
consistent field mark. The photos posted aren't at the right angle to see
that here.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e64697b096baac047d0f7eec

find in any book or on the web. If you get a good frontal look at the bird,=
 in Coopers the top of the cere extends just above the level of the top of =
the eye, and in Sharpie it is below that level. He says it&#39;s a pretty g=
ood and consistent field mark. The photos posted aren&#39;t at the right an=
gle to see that here.</div>

r">&lt;iamclar@dal.ca&gt;</span> wrot=
e:<br>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">All:<br><br>I thought I&#39;d st=
ay out of this, because the responders have it correct as an<br>adult Sharp=
-shinned Hawk, but the lingering concern about Cooper&#39;s needs to be<br>

dispelled. There is nothing about this bird that resembles Cooper&#39;s, ad=
ults of<br>which have a longer head (making the eye seem more forward) ofte=
n displaying a<br>bulging &quot;hackle&quot; at the nape. Also, they are di=
stinctly dark-capped,<br>

contrasting with the pale gray nape. And, BTW, most images taken against a<=
br>background sky or snow have the subject underexposed and too dark overal=
l (and<br>sometimes washed with cyan or blue), obscuring details. You shoul=
d brighten<br>

such images in a photo editing program or brighten your screen. Brightening=
;s good for<br>bringing out contrasts of plumage markings such as barring p=
atterns and a<br>

contrastingly dark cap.<br><br>Richard Stern is right about closed tails be=
ing less easy to interpret than open<br>ones, but only from above. From bel=
ow, Cooper&#39;s and Sharp-shinned are very<br>different, and anyone obtain=
ing photos of perched birds for diagnosis should<br>

aim to get shots from below of the tail. (The broader white margin on the t=
ail<br>of Cooper&#39;s seldom useful, as it can be sullied and worn.)<br><b=
r>Cooper&#39;s tails are graduated, with the tail feathers thus from below:=

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0______<br>=A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0____))))<br>=A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0______))))<br><br>Sh=
arp-shinned tails are not, and thus:<br>=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0_______<br>=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0_______)<br>

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0_______)<br>=
Payzant &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pce@accesswave.ca" target=3D"_blank">pce@acce=
sswave.ca</a>&gt;:<br>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">=A0 =A0Hi, all-<br><br>A friend =
sent me some photos of a bird