[NatureNS] Martinique Beach/whale carcass/eagles

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:55:29 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

bird activity at a far distance near the end of the bea
--0016e6d977358c9aca047c95f140

I've been told it's not. It's illegal to deal in them or bring them across =
national border. I checked with DFO and DNR regarding the sperm whales I
recently worked on. However, if the whale is still in the water, it's in
DFO's realm, and a permit is required. On land, it's out of their hands. On=
of the sperm whales had it's jaws removed prior to me being able to secure
them...the authorities said that was ok. It's a shame that such pieces are
now likely hanging in someone's shed (or even tossed away) rather than in
spots where the public can see them.

This may be a case of a critter slipping through the legal cracks, as it
were. Some beaches are protected, meaning you can't remove anything from
those beaches (DNR responsibility, I believe), so removing it (but not
possessing it?) may require permission. I saw a carved whale vertebra for
sale in an art gallery - I would have thought that to be illegal.

Randy

2010/1/7 Paul S. Boyer <psboyer@eastlink.ca>

> I think that it is illegal to posses whale parts.  Better check on this.
>
> On 6 Jan 2010, at 2:35 PM, Randy Lauff wrote:
>
> If this is the same whale (I think it's likely), there are some interesti=
ng
> questions here. It hasn't been scavenged much - are the coyotes too afrai=
> to come out that much in the open (how close is the nearest forest edge?)=
,
> or was the whale already "ripe" when it washed up (Blake?). Birds, even
> eagles, have a hard time getting through the skin of a whale and tend to
> need a mammalian carnivore (or a biologist with a really big blade [
> http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/firstslice.jpg]) to open things up fo=
> them.
>
> That jaw bone may be salvageable, and would look great on the wall of a
> local highschool biology lab! Salvagers may need shovels and ropes to
> extract it. Maybe even a big knife. And a gas mask.
>
> Randy
>
> 2010/1/6 Laurie Murison <gmwhale@nbnet.nb.ca>
>
>>  Is this not the minke whale that has been on this beach for several
>> months - reported October 6 by Blake Maybank and again November 11 by
>> Jennifer Rowlands via Randy Lauff?
>>
>> The recent surf had rolled it exposing the right side that has obviously
>> been protected from the elements and still has skin on it.  The jaw bone=
>> are sticking out and the outline of the vertebrae are visible along the
>> back.
>>
>> Laurie Murison
>> Grand Manan, NB

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d977358c9aca047c95f140

I&#39;ve been told it&#39;s not. It&#39;s illegal to deal in them or bring =
them across a national border. I checked with DFO and DNR regarding the spe=
rm whales I recently worked on. However, if the whale is still in the water=
, it&#39;s in DFO&#39;s realm, and a permit is required. On land, it&#39;s =
out of their hands. One of the sperm whales had it&#39;s jaws removed prior=
 to me being able to secure them...the authorities said that was ok. It&#39=
;s a shame that such pieces are now likely hanging in someone&#39;s shed (o=
r even tossed away) rather than in spots where the public can see them.<div=

racks, as it were. Some beaches are protected, meaning you can&#39;t remove=
 anything from those beaches (DNR responsibility, I believe), so removing i=
t (but not possessing it?) may require permission. I saw a carved whale ver=
tebra for sale in an art gallery - I would have thought that to be illegal.=

. Boyer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:psboyer@eastlink.ca">psboye=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

uote type=3D"cite">

If this is the same whale (I think it&#39;s likely), there are some interes=
ting questions here. It hasn&#39;t been scavenged much - are the coyotes to=
o afraid to come out that much in the open (how close is the nearest forest=
 edge?), or was the whale already &quot;ripe&quot; when it washed up (Blake=
?). Birds, even eagles, have a hard time getting through the skin of a whal=
e and tend to need a mammalian carnivore (or a biologist with a really big =
blade [<a href=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/firstslice.jpg" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/firstslice.jpg</a>]) to op=
en things up for them.<div>

he wall of a local highschool biology lab! Salvagers may need shovels and r=
opes to extract it. Maybe even a big knife. And a gas mask.</div><div>