[NatureNS] Deformed Starling and a longish reply

From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:07:48 -0400

Hi Angela & All,                Jan 1, 2010
    Your reaction to woods by moonlight reminded me of a moonlit walk along
an abandoned powerline that I took many years ago on newly fallen powder
snow. The head-high and well spaced conifers were loaded with snow and each
acted like an incandescent low-wattage light source. In sections where these
conifers were on all sides there were effectively no shadows and one could
walk without making any sound so it was like being there but not being
there.

    With clean snow underfoot it takes very little light to navigate
moderately open mixed woods (provided someone doesn't turn on a flashlight).
On clear nights in November I have several times walked after dark in woods
for an hour or more with Venus as a compass and (supplemented by stars)
lamp.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville