[NatureNS] First bird of the year

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:05:02 -0400

Well first bird I heard this am was our Hairy woodpecker female yelling as
she was heading to the feeder. It was dark and that is quite unusual. First
actual sight was a brown headed cow bird. There are the usuals here as well
as 2 different hawks. the smaller is a Sharp shinned and it seems to be
having problems maneuvering against the wind. Seems especially clumsy and
usually they are very precise flying machines. The larger is deadly. Am
still not sure what it is (I am leaning to Coopers) but the notch in the
tail well may be feathers missing as I can't find any with notched tails in
the books.
We did have the Northern Flicker here again yesterday.
Happy New Years to you all.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca