[NatureNS] Pictou Co. Birds Sat. Dec. 5, 2009

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 08:35:29 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_CJwekL58KiSYfm7SwkE6pQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all

On Sat. Dec. 5, Charlie Kendell and I did some birding in the Pictou- Caribou I. area. It was a rather nice day and we came up with about 44 species. Haliburton Gut had a lot of activity with many hundreds of Common and Hooded Mergansers and Bonaparte's Gulls. A flock of  20 Robins and  30 Cedar Waxwings flew over  and a hike along the Jitney Trail to Brown's Pt. produced a flock of about 200 CEDAR WAXWINGS and 50 ROBINS feeding on the abundant Hawthorne and mountain ash. Crows dove at a MERLIN. I had seen the Merlin here a week ago as well and we had a nice close view of our second PILEATED WOODPECKER of the day, the first at Granton.
Twelve Seals (looked like Harbour) were  just off the Jitney Trail along the south side of the Pictou Causeway feeding with a group of Bonaparte's Gulls as they forced silversides? into a blind cornor. We located the BROWN THRASHER on the grounds of the Hector Centre Museum, a lifer for Charlie. There were 30 more Cedar Waxwings and a White-breasted Nuthatch on the grounds as well. No sign of the Great Blue Heron I saw here Nov. 30.
At Waterside PP, we noted 2 RED-THROATED LOONS, 2 MYRTLE WARBLERS, 3 SANDERLING and a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER. A pair of Bufflehead were diving near the Waterside Canada Geese.
At the Caribou I. light we saw a couple Iceland Gulls and watched a flock of 1800 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS fly out Caribou Harbour- not sure what put them up although there was a scallop boat travelling out the harbour at the time. I made note of flowering plants, but will send that in another email if I get a chance and once I have them identified.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_CJwekL58KiSYfm7SwkE6pQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18852">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On Sat. Dec. 5, Charlie Kendell and I did some
birding in the Pictou- Caribou I. area. It was a rather nice day and we came up
with about 44 species. Haliburton Gut had a lot of activity with
many&nbsp;hundreds of&nbsp;Common and Hooded Mergansers and Bonaparte's Gulls. A
flock of&nbsp; 20 Robins and&nbsp; 30 Cedar Waxwings flew over&nbsp; and a hike
along the Jitney Trail to Brown's Pt. produced a flock of about 200 CEDAR
WAXWINGS and 50 ROBINS feeding on the abundant Hawthorne and mountain ash. Crows
dove at a MERLIN. I had seen the Merlin here a week ago as well and we had a
nice close view of our second PILEATED WOODPECKER of the day, the first at
Granton. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Twelve Seals (looked like&nbsp;Harbour) were&nbsp;
just off the Jitney&nbsp;Trail along the south side of the Pictou Causeway
feeding with a group of Bonaparte's Gulls as they forced silversides? into a
blind cornor. We located the BROWN THRASHER on the grounds of the Hector Centre
Museum, a lifer for Charlie. There were 30 more Cedar Waxwings and a
White-breasted Nuthatch on the grounds as well. No sign of the Great Blue Heron
I saw here Nov. 30. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Waterside PP, we noted 2 RED-THROATED LOONS, 2
MYRTLE WARBLERS, 3 SANDERLING and a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER. A pair of Bufflehead
were diving near the Waterside Canada Geese. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the Caribou I. light we saw a couple Iceland
Gulls and watched a flock of <STRONG>1800</STRONG> RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS fly
out Caribou Harbour- not sure what put them up although there was a scallop boat
travelling out the harbour at the time. I made note of flowering plants, but
will send that in another email if I get a chance and once I have
them&nbsp;identified.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_CJwekL58KiSYfm7SwkE6pQ)--