[NatureNS] House Sparrows

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:31:06 -0400

I place a lobster trap or similar pigeon-excluder below my hanging millet
feeder, so that the smaller ground-feeders - the House Sparrows and the
overwintering Song Sparrows, occasional Junco etc. - are the ones to benefit
from spilled seeds.

The House Sparrow flock in my back yard has remained constant at 25-30.  I
fed millet all summer and watched them bring at least 2 broods of young to
the feeders.  The neighbourhood is well-stocked with feeders, so I imagine
they spread themselves out if numbers increase.

Cheers,
Susann Myers, Halifax