[NatureNS] RE: Goldfinch and Earwigs

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:41:03 -0400

--_17c14441-b085-43bb-98da-14f348d64ced_

Hi David and All=2C
    I have the same observations up here in the highlands. Lots of cone lad=
en spruce trees but no sign of Crossbills. As well I see plenty of finches =
in the wild while my feeders are dominated by Blue Jays & Rock Pigeons. As =
Dave notes there is a great abundance of wild food so there is no need to c=
ome to feeders.=20
     Two unrelated observations for the record: a juvenile Yellow-rumped Wa=
rbler (Nov.23) and a juvenile Red-winged Blackbird (Nov.25) both seen from =
my house.
    P.S. What's with the Chinese characters in email source line? All the b=
est.

                 Fritz McEvoy

                 Sunrise Valley=2C CB (near Dingwall)=20
=20
> Subject: Goldfinch and Earwigs
> Date: Thu=2C 19 Nov 2009 10:31:36 -0400
> From: David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>=20
> Goldfinch feeding:
>=20
> There are three American Goldfinch feeding on White Birch seeds in my yar=
d. Also in my field of view is a nyger seed feeder that has not been bother=
ed by goldfinches for more than 2 months (mid-September). I had not noticed=
 the abundance of birch catkins until the leaves were all finally blown off=
 a couple of weeks ago. Here in eastern Cape Breton White Spruce and White =
Birch both have significant seeds crops. My guess is that goldfinches and s=
iskins will only occasionally visit feeders until it gets much colder and t=
he birch and spruce seed stock is much reduced.
>=20
> An aside about the large crop of cones on Balsam Fir and White Spruce in =
Cape Breton. Usually large conifer cone crops attract White-winged Crossbil=
ls. Often they arrive in late June while the cones are still green on the t=
rees. However I have seen and heard about few crossbills this year. It is d=
ifficult to find a spruce that is not laden with cones=2C but there are eve=
n fewer crossbills than barren spruces.
>=20
> Some earwig notes:
>=20
> Most students react with disgust to earwigs=2C a big ICK! factor. For mor=
e than 15 years I have been trying to get my entomology students to convinc=
e others that earwigs should be revered (well at least respected).
>=20
> Humans generally think maternal behaviour is a plus. Among insects earwig=
s=2C including the European Earwig that is so common in most areas with lot=
s of people in Nova Scotia=2C look after their young far more than most. Fe=
males construct a little tunnel in a dark damp place. In the tunnel she lay=
s eggs. Dark=2C damp places have lots of fungi. Many fungi readily =91eat=
=92 insect eggs. How to protect the eggs? Female earwigs groom their eggs. =
They lick them=2C eating the fungus that might have started growing on them=
. As well their saliva has antibiotics in it that slow the growth of fungi =
on the eggs. This often continues through the first larval instar as well.
>=20
> I also think earwigs get a bad reputation for other reasons. They do not =
harm to people. As far as crop damage or damage to gardens=2C their role is=
 usually minor Often they feed after another pest has started the problem. =
They have relatively weak mandibles and feed almost exclusively on very sof=
t food. For example in sweet corn they do not eat kernels unless something =
else has broken the surface to allow them access. So when you pick a cob an=
d it has several earwigs=2C they have just moved in to take advantage of fo=
od that perhaps a corn earworm (a caterpillar) has made available for them.
>=20
> DBMcC
>=20
> PS I have considered=2C but so far have not acted upon my intention to ge=
t a job as a full-time publicity agent for earwigs.
>=20
>=20
> DB McCorquodale
> Department of Biology=2C Cape Breton University
> 1250 Grand Lake Rd.=2C Sydney=2C NS B1P 6L2
> 902-563-1260 david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca
>=20
>=20
>=20
> ---

 		 	   		 =20
Ready. Set. Get a great deal on Windows 7. See fantastic deals on Windows 7=
 now
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9691818=

--_17c14441-b085-43bb-98da-14f348d64ced_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi David and All=2C<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI have the same&nbsp=
=3Bobservations up here in the highlands. Lots of&nbsp=3Bcone laden spruce =
trees but no sign of Crossbills. As well I see plenty of finches in the wil=
d while my feeders are dominated by Blue Jays &amp=3B&nbsp=3BRock Pigeons. =
As Dave notes there is a great abundance of wild food so there is no need t=
o come to feeders. <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Two unrelated obser=
vations for the record: a juvenile Yellow-rumped Warbler (Nov.23) and a juv=
enile Red-winged Blackbird (Nov.25) both seen from my house.<BR>&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3B&nbsp=3B P.S.&nbsp=3BWhat's with the Chinese characters in&nbsp=3Bemai=
l source line? All the best.<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BFritz McEvoy<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BSunrise Valley=
=2C CB (near Dingwall)&nbsp=3B<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>&gt=3B Subject: Goldfinch and=
 Earwigs<BR>&gt=3B Date: Thu=2C 19 Nov 2009 10:31:36 -0400<BR>&gt=3B From: =
David_McCorquodale@cbu.ca<BR>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B <=
BR>&gt=3B Goldfinch feeding:<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B There are three American =
Goldfinch feeding on White Birch seeds in my yard. Also in my field of view=
 is a nyger seed feeder that has not been bothered by goldfinches for more =
than 2 months (mid-September). I had not noticed the abundance of birch cat=
kins until the leaves were all finally blown off a couple of weeks ago. Her=
e in eastern Cape Breton White Spruce and White Birch both have significant=
 seeds crops. My guess is that goldfinches and siskins will only occasional=
ly visit feeders until it gets much colder and the birch and spruce seed st=
ock is much reduced.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B An aside about the large crop of =
cones on Balsam Fir and White Spruce in Cape Breton. Usually large conifer =
cone crops attract White-winged Crossbills. Often they arrive in late June =
while the cones are still green on the trees. However I have seen and heard=
 about few crossbills this year. It is difficult to find a spruce that is n=
ot laden with cones=2C but there are even fewer crossbills than barren spru=
ces.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Some earwig notes:<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B Most stud=
ents react with disgust to earwigs=2C a big ICK! factor. For more than 15 y=
ears I have been trying to get my entomology students to convince others th=
at earwigs should be revered (well at least respected).<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=
=3B Humans generally think maternal behaviour is a plus. Among insects earw=
igs=2C including the European Earwig that is so common in most areas with l=
ots of people in Nova Scotia=2C look after their young far more than most. =
Females construct a little tunnel in a dark damp place. In the tunnel she l=
ays eggs. Dark=2C damp places have lots of fungi. Many fungi readily =91eat=
=92 insect eggs. How to protect the eggs? Female earwigs groom their eggs. =
They lick them=2C eating the fungus that might have started growing on them=
. As well their saliva has antibiotics in it that slow the growth of fungi =
on the eggs. This often continues through the first larval instar as well.<=
BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B I also think earwigs get a bad reputation for other re=
asons. They do not harm to people. As far as crop damage or damage to garde=
ns=2C their role is usually minor Often they feed after another pest has st=
arted the problem. They have relatively weak mandibles and feed almost excl=
usively on very soft food. For example in sweet corn they do not eat kernel=
s unless something else has broken the surface to allow them access. So whe=
n you pick a cob and it has several earwigs=2C they have just moved in to t=
ake advantage of food that perhaps a corn earworm (a caterpillar) has made =
available for them.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B DBMcC<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B PS I ha=
ve considered=2C but so far have not acted upon my intention to get a job a=
s a full-time publicity agent for earwigs.<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B =
DB McCorquodale<BR>&gt=3B Department of Biology=2C Cape Breton University<B=
 david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca<BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B <BR>&gt=3B ---<B=
R><BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Get a great deal on Windows 7 and see how it =
works the way you want. <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D969181=
3' target=3D'_new'>See the Windows 7 offers now.</a></body>

--_17c14441-b085-43bb-98da-14f348d64ced_--