[NatureNS] Goldfinch and Earwigs

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:08:52 -0400

H7AnkmIDYK+g+1G0SZByZDGhQzDhktRHAP8A0F2xOVJe0E+RKDF60XGw+4tSMkJiNkM
Some earwig notes:

Most students react with disgust to earwigs, a big ICK! factor.  For more
than 15 years I have been trying to get my entomology students to convince
others that earwigs should be revered (well at least respected).

Humans generally think maternal behaviour is a plus.  Among insects earwigs,
including the European Earwig that is so common in most areas with lots of
people in Nova Scotia, look after their young far more than most.  Females
construct a little tunnel in a dark damp place.  In the tunnel she lays
eggs.  Dark, damp places have lots of fungi.  Many fungi readily 'eat'
insect eggs.  How to protect the eggs?  Female earwigs groom their eggs.
They lick them, eating the fungus that might have started growing on them.
As well their saliva has antibiotics in it that slow the growth of fungi on
the eggs.  This often continues through the first larval instar as well.

I also think earwigs get a bad reputation for other reasons.  They do not
harm to people.

You and my sister should talk. She thinks they are neat too. I don't
..........tried but don'ta nd am even sorry about that
Marg Millard, White Point ,Queens.
http://MargMillard.ca