[NatureNS] shocking earwigs

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:59:26 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dave, Angus & all,
  Hello Dave -- they were probably not stunned and you almost managed to
re-discover the `headless learning` insect preparation first uncovered by my
old boss, back in St. Andrews, Scotland in the 60s (though he used
cockroaches).
This caused a stir at the time because very little was then known about the
neural mechanisms behind any kind of learning, of great interest then as now:
the search was on for a so-called `simple` system in which to elucidate these
mechanisms at the level of single nerve cells, and this insect system looked
promising to some at the time.
  To shock such an insect you need 2 electrodes connected through a switch to
opposite terminals of a voltage or current source, as Dave says.  If
you tether
the insect (to stop it running away) so that its front legs rest on one
electrode and the body or the other legs touch the other electrode, then close
the switch, a roach will immediately raise its front legs, so breaking the
circuit and terminating the shock.  The elevation lasts for a few seconds then
the legs come down.  After a few more such shocks, the roach keeps its legs up
for longer periods (it has learned by association). This happens even with the
head removed, showing that the changes reside in the thoracic nervous system,
not the main brain.  The ingenious part of this was the `yoked control` -- the
same current was sent also through a hapless second roach, which got the same
number of zaps as the first, but these were now not related to its forelegs`
position and so it failed to learn the `legs-up` trick.
   This fizzled out after a few years because no-one got very far with the
single neuron approach in the thorax and much better preparations were
discovered where this approach did work.  Eric Kandel, who appears
fairly often
in science segments on Charlie Rose's midnight TV show on PBS, got the Nobel
Prize a few years back for his work on learning in this area, but on different
neural systems.
   So Dave, perhaps you might have got there first.
   Steve