[NatureNS] earwigs and sowbugs and woodpiles

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:08:54 -0400 (AST)
From: bdigout@seaside.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

   Earwigs seem to have a "naturalized " enemy here.  A few years ago I
was stripping some damp siding off my house, and spraying the hundreds
of earwigs with soapy water as I went.   When I went to my shed to get
something and returned, a flock of House Sparrows flew from the house
to a nearby tree.  They didn't seem too frightened of me, which is
unusual, and I realized why, since as soon as I moved away from the
house, they'd fly in and feast on the earwigs.  Since both are European
visitors, could this be instinct?
Billy

	I have been moving a bit of wood here in Wolfville, too, recently, and