[NatureNS] How is the wild food supply?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:45:17 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6d99daa428d89047802d9fa

Here in Antigonish, there is a huge Mountain Ash (possibly Rowan) crop. Well
above the average. White Spruce and High-bush Cranberry are also doing well;
neither holly is obviously in fruit. Robins and Pine Grosbeaks should do
well, I suspect.

Randy

2009/11/10 Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

> Nothwithstanding the presence of some stellar bird rarities right now (and
> certainly more to be discovered), I've heard concerns from several observers
> across the province that the number of birds they are accustomed to seeing
> at their feeders or on walks is way down.   And that is my impression as
> well.   I have the usual resident species at my feeders (chickadees,
> woodpeckers, nuthatches, doves, jays, juncos and sparrows), but their
> numbers are low, and on walks in the woods or coastline, the landbirds are
> in short supply.   And I suspect, though can't prove, that this is due to an
> absence of wild food.
>
> There are certainly very few berries around, and the berry production this
> past summer was not aided by the poor weather, but the cone crop is also
> poor, and there seems to be less grass and other seeds about.
>
> I'd be curious to learn the impressions of other observers across the
> province.   Is the wild food crop in poor shape?   Do you think the numbers
> of land birds is down over "normal" years?   I suspect that the Christmas
> Bird Counts will reveal a more clear picture, but they are still more than
> one month away.
>
> What is the situation in your "neck of the woods"?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Blake

> White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d99daa428d89047802d9fa

. Well above the average. White Spruce and High-bush Cranberry are also doi=
ng well; neither holly is obviously in fruit. Robins and Pine Grosbeaks sho=
uld do well, I suspect.</div>

a href=3D"mailto:maybank@ns.sympatico.ca">maybank@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</=
span><br>
; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">
bird rarities right now (and certainly more to be discovered), I&#39;ve hea=
rd concerns from several observers across the province that the number of b=
irds they are accustomed to seeing at their feeders or on walks is way down=
.=A0=A0 And that is my impression as well.=A0=A0 I have the usual resident =
species at my feeders (chickadees, woodpeckers, nuthatches, doves, jays, ju=
ncos and sparrows), but their numbers are low, and on walks in the woods or=
 coastline, the landbirds are in short supply.=A0=A0 And I suspect, though =
can&#39;t prove, that this is due to an absence of wild food.<br>

his past summer was not aided by the poor weather, but the cone crop is als=
o poor, and there seems to be less grass and other seeds about.<br><br>

I&#39;d be curious to learn the impressions of other observers across the p=
rovince.=A0=A0 Is the wild food crop in poor shape?=A0=A0 Do you think the =
numbers of land birds is down over &quot;normal&quot; years?=A0=A0 I suspec=
t that the Christmas Bird Counts will reveal a more clear picture, but they=
 are still more than one month away.<br>

s of<br>

Antigonish County, NS.<br>

--0016e6d99daa428d89047802d9fa--