[NatureNS] Spotted Towhee

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:29:00 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_SumcDfL8BJ7OSOkDsyxQUQ)

I revisited the home of Graham and Vicky Hawkins again this morning with his kind prior permission.  I waited from 9AM until 9:45 AM when the Spotted Towhee arrived for a ten minute stay.  It foraged mostly on the ground and is not a shy bird by any means. I took a lot of photos mostly with twigs and leaves hiding portions of the bird but was generally satisfied I got the best photos I could under the shady and contrasty conditions. But, alas, all the photos are still severely cropped.

We also had this rare bird in our back yard but not in Portuguese Cove.  It was in Winnipeg 11 years ago where it is also rare.  This bird is easy to find and photograph at the Reifel Sanctuary in Richmond, B. C., where it's very tame.

I'll post the photos this evening.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_SumcDfL8BJ7OSOkDsyxQUQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18852">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I revisited the home of Graham and Vicky Hawkins
again this morning with his kind prior permission.&nbsp; I waited from 9AM until
9:45 AM when the <STRONG>Spotted Towhee</STRONG> arrived for a ten minute
stay.&nbsp; It foraged mostly on the ground and is not a shy bird by any
means.&nbsp;I took a lot of photos mostly with twigs and leaves hiding portions
of the bird but was generally satisfied I got the best photos I could under the
shady and contrasty conditions.&nbsp;But, alas, all the photos are still
severely cropped.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We also had this rare bird in our back yard but not
in Portuguese Cove.&nbsp; It was in Winnipeg 11 years ago where it is also
rare.&nbsp; This bird is easy to find and photograph at the Reifel Sanctuary in
Richmond, B. C., where it's very tame.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I'll post the photos this evening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_SumcDfL8BJ7OSOkDsyxQUQ)--