[NatureNS] Re: Owl #100

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 07:46:46 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e6d99d610aaaeb0477c685b0

Thanks to Jim Wolford for pointing out that I didn't mention the type of
owl. This email was actually supposed to go to a different address, and the
recipient would have known I meant a Northern Saw-whet Owl (though the 100
owls also includes about 10 Boreals). Anyway, the southbound migration seems
about as strong as last year. Other folks monitoring the migration are
seeing a slow start (they're all south of me), but they haven't got their
big wave yet.

I've caught more Deer Mice in my house this past month (about 6) than in the
last three years. I hope this means there are a lot of mice, not that my
house has suddenly become attractive! If the mice numbers are truly up, then
as long as the winter isn't too hard, weasels, owls, snakes, foxes should
all do well next year.

Randy

--
Randy
_________________________________

--0016e6d99d610aaaeb0477c685b0

ype of owl. This email was actually supposed to go to a different address, =
and the recipient would have known I meant a Northern Saw-whet Owl (though =
the 100 owls also includes about 10 Boreals). Anyway, the southbound migrat=
ion seems about as strong as last year. Other folks monitoring the migratio=
n are seeing a slow start (they&#39;re all south of me), but they haven&#39=
;t got their big wave yet.</div>

han in the last three years. I hope this means there are a lot of mice, not=
 that my house has suddenly become attractive! If the mice numbers are trul=
y up, then as long as the winter isn&#39;t too hard, weasels, owls, snakes,=
 foxes should all do well next year.</div>

ref=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com">randy.lauff@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span><b=
r>
; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">I banded my 100th owl last night=
, before the moon rose. My 100 owls are almost evenly split between nest-ba=
nded birds and migration monitoring. The birds was an AHY unknown sex, not =
wearing any bracelets. But it did have bloody chin feathers, and the blood =
wasn&#39;t mine.<br>

Way in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.<br>

--0016e6d99d610aaaeb0477c685b0--