[NatureNS] Nature camera travel (was Shorebird ID)

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:33:25 -0300
From: Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636e1f0fcecc12e0476fed618

Richard,

A little off topic but still relevant from a
nature-nser-travel-for-make-bird-photos kind of way:

I can speak as to how I travel with my current big lens, the Nikkor 500/4 P.
Being a manual focus lens, it is a flyweight for its optical power, weighing
it at only 3 kg. I have a big Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW. This is big
enough to keep the 500 mounted on my camera+battery pack, and I still have
room for my 300/4, binos, laptop and a couple of smaller lenses. I always
try to carry-on the bag, but I have been forced to check it once, on a
smallish plane. Backpack and gear were intact after that flight. They don't
seem to care about the weight of carry-ons, only the physical dimensions so
the big 500/4 L should be similarly ok even though it's more like 5kg.

Bruce

--
Bruce Stevens
Maryvale, NS

--001636e1f0fcecc12e0476fed618

Richard,<br><br>A little off topic but still relevant from a nature-nser-tr=
avel-for-make-bird-photos kind of way:<br><br>I can speak as to how I trave=
l with my current big lens, the Nikkor 500/4 P. Being a manual focus lens, =
it is a flyweight for its optical power, weighing it at only 3 kg. I have a=
 big Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW. This is big enough to keep the 500 mount=
ed on my camera+battery pack, and I still have room for my 300/4, binos, la=
ptop and a couple of smaller lenses. I always try to carry-on the bag, but =
I have been forced to check it once, on a smallish plane. Backpack and gear=
 were intact after that flight. They don&#39;t seem to care about the weigh=
t of carry-ons, only the physical dimensions so the big 500/4 L should be s=
imilarly ok even though it&#39;s more like 5kg.<br>
9 at 10:01 AM, Richard Stern <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternr=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204)=
; margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hi Rosemary too,<br><br>I agree with Bruce&#39;s coments. The Dowitcher has=
 a complex pattern of internal markings on the tertial and lower scapular f=
eathers, which suggests a juvenile-plumaged Short-billed. The turnstone is =
not a Rock Sandpiper.<br>

ig and heavy. How do you carry it when traveling - hand-luggage or checked,=
lass=3D"h5">

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Bruce Stevens <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">m.bruce.stevens@g=
=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; p=
adding-left: 1ex;">

Hi Rosemary,<br><br>The first photo you&#39;ve flagged as unknown is a Blac=
k Turnstone. The second one is a dowitcher... I would lean toward Long-bill=
ed, but without a clear look at the tail I&#39;m not confident enough to sa=
y. Maybe someone else with more experience in identifying dowitchers can he=
lp you there.<br>

periencing big glass envy,<br><br>Bruce&