[NatureNS] Re: Avisys bird listing software

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:25:35 -0300

--Apple-Mail-7--876939024

Hello everyone:

There is piece of birding softwae that my son found, that has both a
Mac and a Windows version!

http://web.mac.com/wings_4d/Wings/Welcome.html

You can even download a trial version and see how it works.

Pat

On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Blake Maybank wrote:

> At 12:41 PM 20/10/2009, you wrote:
>> I have used AviSys bird listing software for about 10 years. It is
>> the single worst piece of software I own....everything from
>> redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data entry, I think it's
>> time for a change.
>
> My opinion of AviSys is completely the opposite of Randy's.   I've
> used the software for 20 years, and love it.  The programming is
> concise (takes little space on the computer, and does not hog
> processing resources), the documentation is well-written and easy to
> understand, and inputting data is a breeze.   Redundant key
> strokes?  I am unaware of any.   Counter-intuitive data entry?   On
> the contrary, it is as easy and logical as possible.  The program
> gives its users a variety of options when uploading data, and
> retrieving the data is a snap.   I also use the program to keep
> track of my butterfly, dragonfly, and mammal sightings.   Users can
> do fancy things with the program, or can keep it simple.   The
> program offers lots of choice.
>
> I have, in the past, compared all the available software for keeping
> track of nature sightings, and Avisys came an easy first, with
> BirdBase in second place.   And Avisys data can be transferred to
> eBird if you wish to include your sightings on-line.
>
> The program's developer is extremely helpful when anyone has a
> question or a concern, and he listens to suggestions for changes and
> improvements, which are implemented regularly.   I think this
> company's approach is a model for other software developers, most of
> whom fall short in many ways, especially with support documentation
> and user assistance.   I urge Randy to phone Avisys toll-free, and
> discuss your concerns.
>
> I now have almost 100,000 data entries in Avisys, and can't imagine
> any other program being as friendly and useful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Blake

> Blake Maybank
> maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
> 902-852-2077
>
> Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
> http://nsbs.chebucto.org
>
> author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
> http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
> Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
> http://tinyurl.com/mr627d
>
> White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

=
=
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
=
=
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
=
=
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
=
=
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
=
=

--Apple-Mail-7--876939024

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hello =
son found, that has both a Mac and a Windows =
href=3D"http://web.mac.com/wings_4d/Wings/Welcome.html">http://web.mac.com=
download a trial version and see how it =
>On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Blake Maybank wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div> At =
12:41 PM 20/10/2009, you wrote:<br> <blockquote type=3D"cite" =
class=3D"cite" cite=3D"">I have used AviSys bird listing software for =
about 10 years. It is the single worst piece of software I =
own....everything from redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data =
entry, I think it's time for a change.</blockquote><br> My opinion of =
AviSys is completely the opposite of Randy's.&nbsp;&nbsp; I've used the =
software for 20 years, and love it.&nbsp; The programming is concise =
(takes little space on the computer, and does not hog processing =
resources), the documentation is well-written and easy to understand, =
and inputting data is a breeze.&nbsp;&nbsp; Redundant key strokes?&nbsp; =
I am unaware of any.&nbsp;&nbsp; Counter-intuitive data =
entry?&nbsp;&nbsp; On the contrary, it is as easy and logical as =
possible.&nbsp; The program gives its users a variety of options when =
uploading data, and retrieving the data is a snap.&nbsp;&nbsp; I also =
use the program to keep track of my butterfly, dragonfly, and mammal =
sightings.&nbsp;&nbsp; Users can do fancy things with the program, or =
can keep it simple.&nbsp;&nbsp; The program offers lots of =
choice.<br><br> I have, in the past, compared all the available software =
for keeping track of nature sightings, and Avisys came an easy first, =
with BirdBase in second place.&nbsp;&nbsp; And Avisys data can be =
transferred to eBird if you wish to include your sightings =
on-line.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br> The program's developer is extremely =
helpful when anyone has a question or a concern, and he listens to =
suggestions for changes and improvements, which are implemented =
regularly.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think this company's approach is a model for =
other software developers, most of whom fall short in many ways, =
especially with support documentation and user assistance.&nbsp;&nbsp; I =
urge Randy to phone Avisys toll-free, and discuss your =
concerns.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br> I now have almost 100,000 data entries in =
Avisys,