[NatureNS] Re: Avisys bird listing software

Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:58:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Blake Maybank <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_341164687==.ALT

At 12:41 PM 20/10/2009, you wrote:
>I have used AviSys bird listing software for about 10 years. It is
>the single worst piece of software I own....everything from
>redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data entry, I think it's
>time for a change.

My opinion of AviSys is completely the opposite of Randy's.   I've
used the software for 20 years, and love it.  The programming is
concise (takes little space on the computer, and does not hog
processing resources), the documentation is well-written and easy to
understand, and inputting data is a breeze.   Redundant key
strokes?  I am unaware of any.   Counter-intuitive data entry?   On
the contrary, it is as easy and logical as possible.  The program
gives its users a variety of options when uploading data, and
retrieving the data is a snap.   I also use the program to keep track
of my butterfly, dragonfly, and mammal sightings.   Users can do
fancy things with the program, or can keep it simple.   The program
offers lots of choice.

I have, in the past, compared all the available software for keeping
track of nature sightings, and Avisys came an easy first, with
BirdBase in second place.   And Avisys data can be transferred to
eBird if you wish to include your sightings on-line.

The program's developer is extremely helpful when anyone has a
question or a concern, and he listens to suggestions for changes and
improvements, which are implemented regularly.   I think this
company's approach is a model for other software developers, most of
whom fall short in many ways, especially with support documentation
and user assistance.   I urge Randy to phone Avisys toll-free, and
discuss your concerns.

I now have almost 100,000 data entries in Avisys, and can't imagine
any other program being as friendly and useful.

Cheers,

Blake

Blake Maybank
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
902-852-2077

Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
http://nsbs.chebucto.org

author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns
Downloadable Nova Scotia Maps for inside front and back covers:
http://tinyurl.com/mr627d

White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada
--=====================_341164687==.ALT

At 12:41 PM 20/10/2009, you wrote:<br>
software for about 10 years. It is the single worst piece of software I
own....everything from redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data
entry, I think it's time for a change.</blockquote><br>
My opinion of AviSys is completely the opposite of Randy's.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I've used the software for 20 years, and love it.&nbsp; The programming
is concise (takes little space on the computer, and does not hog
processing resources), the documentation is well-written and easy to
understand, and inputting data is a breeze.&nbsp;&nbsp; Redundant key
strokes?&nbsp; I am unaware of any.&nbsp;&nbsp; Counter-intuitive data
entry?&nbsp;&nbsp; On the contrary, it is as easy and logical as
possible.&nbsp; The program gives its users a variety of options when
uploading data, and retrieving the data is a snap.&nbsp;&nbsp; I also use
the program to keep track of my butterfly, dragonfly, and mammal
sightings.&nbsp;&nbsp; Users can do fancy things with the program, or can
keep it simple.&nbsp;&nbsp; The program offers lots of choice.<br><br>
I have, in the past, compared all the available software for keeping
track of nature sightings, and Avisys came an easy first, with BirdBase
in second place.&nbsp;&nbsp; And Avisys data can be transferred to eBird
if you wish to include your sightings on-line.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>
The program's developer is extremely helpful when anyone has a question
or a concern, and he listens to suggestions for changes and improvements,
which are implemented regularly.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think this company's
approach is a model for other software developers, most of whom fall
short in many ways, especially with support documentation and user
assistance.&nbsp;&nbsp; I urge Randy to phone Avisys toll-free, and
discuss your concerns.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>
I now have almost 100,000 data entries in Avisys, and can't imagine any
other program being as friendly and useful.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Blake<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Blake Maybank<br>
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<br>
902-852-2077<br><br>
Editor, &quot;Nova Scotia Birds&quot;<br>
http://nsbs.chebucto.org<br><br>
</a>author, &quot;Birding Sites of Nova Scotia&quot;<br>
http://tinyurl.com/birdingns<br>
covers:<br>
White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada </body>