[NatureNS] Strange sight in Eel Lake

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:44:26 -0300

Hi all,
   my guess would be that the creature you saw may have been a harbour seal,
rather than a harbour porpoise. There are numerous records of harbour seals
making their way on occasions upriver into strictly freshwater environments.
There are freshwater lakes in the Canadian Arctic that support permanent
harbour seal populations. And there are a number of sightings over the years
of harbour seals in Dartmouth's Sullivan Pond. I have never heard of a
harbour porpoise in freshwater.
   Dusan Soudek