[NatureNS] Hermit Thrush - Bluejay Preventer

From: Patrick Giffin <p_giffin@hotmail.com>
To: BLOMIDON NATURALIST LIST <nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca>,
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 08:19:33 -0300

--_cdad7f0a-fac2-485c-b891-3d6e630c0bb2_

Hi:
We were surprised to see a Hermit Thrush checking out the area under our fe=
eders last evening.  They are often sighted in the woodland behind our home=
 but not this time of year.
After looking at the photo of the feeder enclosure that Eleanor Lindsay had=
 sent us I bought some wire fencing with 2"X2" openings. It is galvanized. =
Purchased from the Middleton Family Grocery and Feed Store. I had hoped for=
 1.5" openings but it is not available. I checked with Halifax fencing deal=
ers too and couldn't find anything smaller that the 2X2 openings.

Our black-oil feeder has 3 concentric tubes=2C 12 openings/perches. I was a=
ble to neatly wrap the 3 tubes with less than $5 worth of wire.=20

So far this has slowed the BJs considerably=2C they are unable to perch com=
fortably on the wire enclosure so quickly take a couple of seeds and leave!=
 More important the goldfinch=2C chickadee=2C nuthatches transit comfortabl=
y to the feeder=2C seemingly=2C ignoring the wire. We have only had a coupl=
e of hours of seeing this reduced BJ activity=2C it will be interesting to =
see what clever "work-around" the blue pigs are able to come up with.

They continue to dominate our suet feeders.

Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat

 		 	   		 =20
CDN College or University student? Get Windows 7 for only $39.99 before Jan=
 3! Buy it now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9691636=

--_cdad7f0a-fac2-485c-b891-3d6e630c0bb2_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi:<BR>We were surprised to see a Hermit Thrush checking out the area under=
 our feeders last evening.&nbsp=3B They are often sighted in the woodland b=
ehind our home but not this time of year.<BR>After looking at the photo of =
the feeder enclosure that Eleanor Lindsay had sent us I bought some wire fe=
ncing with 2"X2" openings. It is galvanized. Purchased from the Middleton F=
amily Grocery and Feed Store. I had hoped for 1.5" openings but it is not a=
vailable. I checked with Halifax fencing dealers too and couldn't find anyt=
hing smaller that the 2X2 openings.<BR>
Our black-oil feeder has 3 concentric tubes=2C 12 openings/perches. I was a=
ble to neatly wrap the 3 tubes with less than $5 worth of wire. <BR>
So far this has slowed the BJs considerably=2C they are unable to perch com=
fortably on the wire enclosure so quickly take a couple of seeds and leave!=
 More important the goldfinch=2C chickadee=2C nuthatches&nbsp=3Btransit com=
fortably to the feeder=2C seemingly=2C ignoring the wire. We have only had =
a couple of hours of seeing this reduced BJ&nbsp=3Bactivity=2C it will be i=
nteresting to see what clever "work-around" the blue pigs are able to come =
up with.<BR>
They continue to dominate our suet feeders.<BR>
Cheers=2C Barbara and Pat<BR><BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Save up to 84% on =
Windows 7 until Jan 3-eligible CDN College or University students only. <a =
href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9691631' target=3D'_new'>Hurry-bu=
y it now for $39.99!</a></body>

--_cdad7f0a-fac2-485c-b891-3d6e630c0bb2_--