[NatureNS] on line air photos and maps

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:01:19 -0700
From: Matthew Baker <mattbaker@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e64655249d15b00474d6dc9e

A CARTOGRAPHICAL MONSTROSITY!!!

i work at ESRI in redlands, California, and learned cartography and GIS in
Lawrencetown, NS...and this term just makes my day!

however, the fact remains, that it is indeed lacking some cartographic
necessities - mostly requiring some 'behind the scenes power' to be added...

does anyone know who is responsible for this website?

thanks!

-m

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Paul S. Boyer <psboyer@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> About that NS map: I can't get the photos to work at all.  The explanations
> are poor or lacking; the place-names are scattered all about, often far from
> where they belong;  10-m contours are drawn crossing shorelines in my area
> (an impossibility).  The shorelines are very rough and crude.
> This is a cartographical monstrosity.
> But you did say that this was a government project.  It's certainly not up
> to Google Earth in quality.
>
> On 30 Sep 2009, at 5:03 PM, Randy Lauff wrote:
>
> I must admit to selectively reading only about one or two postings on
> NatureNS a day, so I apologize if this has been posted already.
>
> This site is a wonderful example of our tax dollars at work. (Don't read
> sarcasm in that, I mean what I wrote!). Although there seems to be some
> finishing up to do (I couldn't get the link "send this view to a friend" to
> work), the air photos are wonderful and easy to navigate. I can almost see
> the solar panels on my shed, I can easily see the dormers on my house.
>
> https://ns.nfis.org/mapserver/ka-map/htdocs/
>
> I think this will be handy for the whole gamut of people who use nature,
> from naturalists to biologists.
>
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e64655249d15b00474d6dc9e

A CARTOGRAPHICAL MONSTROSITY!!!<br>
i work at ESRI in redlands, California, and learned cartography and GIS in =
Lawrencetown, NS...and this term just makes my day!<br><br>however, the fac=
t remains, that it is indeed lacking some cartographic necessities - mostly=
 requiring some &#39;behind the scenes power&#39; to be added...<br>
:56 PM, Paul S. Boyer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:psboyer@eastl=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div style=3D"wor=
d-wrap: break-word;">About that NS map: I can&#39;t get the photos to work =
at all. =A0The explanations are poor or lacking; the place-names are scatte=
red all about, often far from where they belong; =A010-m contours are drawn=
 crossing shorelines in my area (an impossibility). =A0The shorelines are v=
ery rough and crude.<div>
 you did say that this was a government project. =A0It&#39;s certainly not =
kquote type=3D"cite"><div>I must admit to selectively reading only about on=
e or two postings on NatureNS a day, so I apologize if this has been posted=
 already.</div>
work. (Don&#39;t read sarcasm in that, I mean what I wrote!). Although ther=
e seems to be some finishing up to do (I couldn&#39;t get the link &quot;se=
nd this view to a friend&quot; to work), the air photos are wonderful and e=
asy to navigate. I can almost see the solar panels on my shed, I can easily=
 see the dormers on my house.</div>
s/" href=3D"https://ns.nfis.org/mapserver/ka-map/htdocs/" target=3D"_blank"=
I think this will be handy for the whole gamut of people who use nature, fr=
om naturalists to biologists.</div>

--0016e64655249d15b00474d6dc9e--