[NatureNS] re Wild Turkeys in Maine & N.B.?

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:14:09 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <MarysPt@nbnet.nb.ca>

At 4:01 PM -0300 9/29/09, James W. Wolford wrote:

>Peter et al., I think I heard once that Wild Turkeys were
>[illegally?] introduced onto Grand Manan Isand, N.B., and that they
>are even hunted there?  Perhaps Brian Dalzell can fill us in on
>this, or David Christie?  W

Here's something I sent to NatureNB nearly a year ago in response to
a question about observation of a wild turkey.  At 1:59 PM -0300
10/15/08, David Christie wrote:

>There are quite a few people in New Brunswick who have Wild Turkeys
>in captivity, and some, I believe, are releasing them into the wild,
>without authorization. Over the years I have received reports of
>such turkeys in the wild from around Woodstock, St. Martins,
>Sackville, Memramcook, and Riley Brook, to mention just some places
>that come readily to mind.  There are similar reports of Northern
>Bobwhite and of Chukars.  They survive for a time, sometimes even
>nest successfully, but generally die out.
>
>Deer Island is the spot where Turkeys seem to have continued over
>the longest period of time. I have no idea how much continuing
>releases have contributed to that as opposed to the birds sustaining
>themselves. Perhaps someone with Deer Island connections can find
>out more about them.
>
>There was a sanctioned release of Wild Turkeys on Grand Manan in the
>1980s(?). They bred and were assisted with supplemental winter
>feeding but, as Brian Dalzell reported, after a while they died out,
>partly because of "lead poisoning."
>
>That said, because of releases Wild Turkeys have become established
>in southern Maine and are spreading eastward (I've seen them along
>Route 9 a considerable distance east of Bangor) and eventually,
>perhaps soon (or already?), will cross the St. Croix into New
>Brunswick. Charlotte County observers should be alert for their
>appearance and report their observations.

There are reports of Wild Turkeys in western Charlotte and Carleton
counties, NB, some (or most) of which must have come in from Maine
but whether they originated from established populations or from
recent releases is uncertain. There have been releases in eastern
Maine not far from the border, and north to the latitude of
Perth-Andover, NB.

It seems only a matter of time before Wild Turkeys will be
established in parts of southwestern New Brunswick.

David

--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada