[NatureNS] Turkeys

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:13:50 EDT
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1254222830

Coming back from shopping in Portland and Bangor we saw wild  turkeys about
50 miles from the border. We invariably see them on the airline  route and
with it's proximity to NB, wonder if they are breeding there. It was  my
impression that their historical Northern limit was Southern Maine. There was
one seen here in Hubbards a couple of weeks ago, presumable  released.
Of interest was a humming bird in St Stevens on the 26th  Sep. We had one
here on the 20th but none since we returned.
The locals in Maine were complaining about low deer numbers.  If my yard is
any indication it's not a problem here. We have a yearling on the
peninsula that is half brown and half white, also one doe that seems to be doing
quite well with what appears to be a broken leg.
Peter Stow

-------------------------------1254222830

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.18813"></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" id=3Dr=
ole_body=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Coming back from shopping in Portland and Bangor we sa=
w wild=20
turkeys about 50 miles from the border. We invariably see them on the airl=
ine=20
route and with it's proximity to NB, wonder if they are breeding there. It=
 was=20
my impression that their historical Northern limit was Southern Maine. The=
re was=20
one seen here in Hubbards a couple of weeks ago, presumable=20
released.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Of interest was a humming bird in St Stevens on the 26=
th=20
Sep.&nbsp;We had one here on the 20th but none since we returned.</FONT></=

<DIV><FONT size=3D3>The locals in Maine were complaining about low deer nu=
mbers.=20
If my yard is any indication it's not a problem here. We have a yearling=
 on the=20
peninsula that is half brown and half white, also one doe that seems to be=
 doing=20
quite well with what appears to be a broken leg.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Peter Stow</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>