[NatureNS] re Bottled Water & iron & salt & U & As & filters

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:21:01 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

si

--Boundary_(ID_CXgJApDRENKiLoxQeTOTkg)

I hadn't heard of this, unless it is worry about the plastic.  There =20
are so many false urban myths circulating nowadays, that one must be =20
constantly skeptical.  For example, we were told recently by email not =20=

to eat certain common foods for fear of over-dosing on Vitamin A.  All =20=

the information in the notice which I have been able to check has =20
proven decidedly false.

Apparently the Brita story may be similarly inaccurate.  See: =
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2008/02/09/are-brita-water-pitchers-made-fro=
m-safe-plastic/

In addition, the most active filtering material in the Brita filter is =20=

activated charcoal.  It would absorb any objectionable leachates from =20=

the plastic (if there were any), so I think that you need not worry.

On 28 Sep 2009, at 4:22 PM, James W. Wolford wrote:

> I have a possible stupid question: isn't there some environmental =20
> reason now to disfavour Brita filters?  Is it the BPA scare =20
> (bisphenol A)?  Perhaps a year or more ago, my wife Pat gave up her =20=

> longtime use of the Brita.  What was the reason??  Cheers from Jim =20
> in Wolfville
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Roland McCormick <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
>> Date: September 27, 2009 11:20:33 AM ADT
>> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Bottled Water
>>
>> Hello Paul -
>>       I found your article on water most interesting. I grew up in =20=

>> Bear River - all hills that are a mixture of ledges (lots of =20
>> fossils) and gravel. I think almost everywhere there is more than =20
>> enough gravel to filter the water, the result being pure fresh =20
>> drinking water (untested) everywhere.
>>       When I moved here to Barrington I soon found the water needed =20=

>> to be filtered. I asked my plumber what he would suggest, and he =20
>> installed a Brita filter. According to your article it is even =20
>> better than I thought it was.
>>
>> Roland.

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I hadn't heard of this, unless =
it is worry about the plastic. &nbsp;There are so many false urban myths =
circulating nowadays, that one must be constantly skeptical. &nbsp;For =
example, we were told recently by email not to eat certain common foods =
for fear of over-dosing on Vitamin A. &nbsp;All the information in the =
notice which I have been able to check has proven decidedly =
inaccurate. &nbsp;See:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2008/02/09/are-brita-water-pitchers-=
made-from-safe-plastic/">http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2008/02/09/are-brit=
addition, the most active filtering material in the Brita filter is =
activated charcoal. &nbsp;It would absorb any objectionable leachates =
from the plastic (if there were any), so I think that you need not =
PM, James W. Wolford wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "> I have a possible stupid =
question: isn't there some environmental reason now to disfavour Brita =
filters? &nbsp;Is it the BPA scare (bisphenol A)? &nbsp;Perhaps a year =
or more ago, my wife Pat gave up her longtime use of the Brita. =
&nbsp;What was the reason?? &nbsp;Cheers from Jim in =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000"><b>From: =
</b></font><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">Roland McCormick &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca">roland.mccormick@ns.sympa=
tico