[NatureNS] Time to Gripe again

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:02:07 +0000

--_907851e0-6d0a-4433-9385-ac1c6b7de1cb_

I was disappointed to see the ravishes done to the Dynamite Trail at Clearl=
and again.  Time had healed the damage done previously about two years ago =
and the habitat was once again almost back to what it should be.  There wer=
e no problems with drainage and the previous ditching job to me seemed to b=
e doing its duty.  Now there is a gaping deep ditch on either side partiall=
y full of water.  This runs a log distance and is good for mosquitos and dr=
agonflies.  A ditch that goes down five feet or so.  The ground removed has=
 been thrown along the trail edge=2C leaving large mounds of wet sluge on t=
op of the vegetation.  Trees and other vegetation have been broken and remo=
ved again way back beyond where it should be.   Branches are broken and tre=
es beat to pieces.  I realize that this is not the fault of the trail assoc=
iation but of our government with their regulations.  Due to it being a tra=
il for ATV use as well as walking and biking they are forced to remove vege=
tation and to leave an unsightly mess behind.  Not the nature walk that one=
 enjoys when you see this sort of thing.   To add insult to injury=2C the n=
ice birding area on the other side with the loop back out to the road has b=
een modified also.  This is private property and the owner seems to be doin=
g a lot of clear-cutting.  Removal of grass and trees from the field area a=
nd woods edge and cutting of the lower limbs from the trees.  This is the f=
irst time in all of the years that I've been going there that I've seen any=
one at the house along the rail trail.  Hopefully=2C the cutter will keep t=
o the edges of the field only and will not remove too much vegetation from =
this wonderful area for migrants.  This has in the past been one of my best=
 locations for migrants and for large numbers of species breeding over the =
summer. =20

=20

Even with all of the disruption and activity I still had a blackpoll warble=
r=2C numbers of yellow-rumped warblers=2C 13 black-capped chickadees=2C and=
 two blue-headed vireos.

=20

At the Fauxburg Trail today=2C I had 5 yellow-rumped warblers=2C a common y=
ellowthroat=2C two blue-headed vireos=2C a red-eyed vireo=2C 14 black-cappe=
d chickadees=2C three red-breasted nuthatches=2C four black-throated green =
warblers=2C five blackpoll warblers=2C a Cape May Warbler female in fall pl=
umage=2C  two golden-crowned kinglets=2C and a number of other species.  I =
also had my first hermit thrush in a long time.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport=20
 		 	   		  =0A=
Create a cool=2C new character for your Windows Live=99 Messenger. =0A=
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9656621=

--_907851e0-6d0a-4433-9385-ac1c6b7de1cb_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
I was disappointed to see the ravishes done to the Dynamite Trail at Clearl=
and again.&nbsp=3B Time had healed the damage done&nbsp=3Bpreviously about =
two years ago and the habitat was once again almost back to what it should =
be.&nbsp=3B There were no problems with drainage and the previous ditching =
job to me seemed to be doing its duty.&nbsp=3B Now there is a gaping deep d=
itch on either side partially full of water.&nbsp=3B This runs a log distan=
ce and is good for mosquitos and dragonflies.&nbsp=3B A ditch that goes dow=
n five feet or so.&nbsp=3B The ground removed has been thrown along the tra=
il edge=2C leaving large mounds of wet sluge on top of the vegetation.&nbsp=
=3B Trees and other vegetation have been broken and removed again way back =
beyond where it should be.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Branches are broken and trees be=
at to pieces.&nbsp=3B I realize that this is not the fault of the trail ass=
ociation but of our government with their regulations.&nbsp=3B Due to it be=
ing a trail for ATV use as well as walking and biking they are forced to re=
move&nbsp=3Bvegetation and to leave an unsightly mess behind.&nbsp=3B Not t=
he nature walk that one enjoys when you see this sort of thing.&nbsp=3B&nbs=
p=3B To add insult to injury=2C the nice birding area on the other side wit=
h the loop back out to the road has been modified also.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThis=
 is private property and the owner seems to be doing a lot of clear-cutting=
.&nbsp=3B Removal of grass and trees from the field area and woods edge and=
 cutting of the lower limbs from the trees.&nbsp=3B This is the first time =
in all of the years that I've been going there that I've seen anyone at the=
 house along the rail trail.&nbsp=3B Hopefully=2C the cutter will keep to t=
he edges of the field only and will not remove too much vegetation from thi=
s wonderful area for migrants.&nbsp=3B This has in the past been one of my =
best locations for migrants and for large numbers of species breeding over =
the summer.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Even with all of the disruption and activity I still had a blackpoll warble=
r=2C numbers of yellow-rumped warblers=2C 13 black-capped chickadees=2C and=
 two blue-headed vireos.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the Fauxburg Trail today=2C I had 5 yellow-rumped warblers=2C a common y=
ellowthroat=2C two blue-headed vireos=2C a red-eyed vireo=2C 14 black-cappe=
d chickadees=2C three red-breasted nuthatches=2C four black-throated green =
warblers=2C five blackpoll warblers=2C&nbsp=3Ba&nbsp=3BCape May Warbler fem=
ale in&nbsp=3Bfall plumage=2C &nbsp=3Btwo golden-crowned kinglets=2C and a =
number of other species.&nbsp=3B I also had my first hermit thrush in a lon=
g time.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James&nbsp=3BR. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Create a cool=2C new character f=
or your Windows Live=99 Messenger.  <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?lin=
kid=3D9656621' target=3D'_new'>Check it out</a></body>

--_907851e0-6d0a-4433-9385-ac1c6b7de1cb_--