[NatureNS] Raven: An observation

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:36:10 -0300

I spent yesterday afternoon at Grand Pre's East end (the part shared by
Bird, birdwatchers, and fishermen).  Still some shorebirds around, a few
hundreds (max. 2000) semipalmated and least sandpipers, semipalmate
plovers, a handful of sanderlings, Baird sandpiper, some white-rumped SP.
None of the large plovers.  And ~30 gulls of different varieties (important
detail).

At one point I heard a fairly high pitched bell-like "glick glick".  A raven was in
final approach to the landing strip that was at once cleared by all shorebirds.
After touch-down the raven took a few steps and in the few seconds it took
to get my binoculars on him I missed a crucial piece of observation detail. By
the time I had the bird in view again he was stuffing its beak with sandwich
leftovers (cold-cut as far as I could tell).

So, there was nobody nearby that spot earlier as it was covered in
shorebirds. Gulls as mentioned above were abundant at all time, both on
foot and airborne.

So here's the question: What is the life expectancy of a sandwich left behind
on the beach under those circumstances?

The raven went straight for it, just a few steps from landing to eating. It is
known that raven cache food.  Given the circumstances I am wondering if I
witnessed a raven returning to his secret snack stash?

Given the fact that there was nobody nearby that could have recently
dropped the sandwich, the limited time of coexistence of unguarded leftover
food and gulls on the same beach, and a raven that made the impression of
a very target oriented, determined approach are making this for me a very
reasonable explanation of my observation.

Ulli