[NatureNS] For lep eyes only

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:15:48 +0000

--_ecb15ea6-631e-4759-bbc8-10ddab9055bc_

I'm sitting her puzzling over a butterfly that I saw at Second Peninsula on=
 Aug. 26.  Unfortunately=2C I did not remember my camera which was in the c=
ar so do not have a photo of it.  The butterfly in question more closely re=
sembles a painted lady than anything else that I can find.  It was orange i=
n color=2C with a dark blue body in the shape of what you would see with a =
painted lady and the head the same.  Size matches.  Now the only problem wi=
th this butterfly is that - well my description in my notes clinches it.  I=
t was a painted lady.  So I guess I don't need any assist with the id.  I n=
oted 3 white dots with a scythe on the wing and a half scythe and 2 dots on=
 either side on the bottom.

=20

Today there was a dragon hunter at East Port Medway

=20

Bird wise it was very quiet at Hell's Point with only one spotted sandpiper=
 and two least sandpipers.  The tide was low though and the shorebirds tend=
 to be present there at high tide.  At Kingsburg Beach there was a lone whi=
mbrel.  Oddly enough my friend David Walmark tells me that a pair were pres=
ent at that location all summer.  They did not migrate when they should hav=
e.  They arrived in the spring and stayed right through.  After the summer =
now there is only one remaining as of the past week.  Numbers of other shor=
ebirds were also present at Kingsburg Beach. =20

=20

On an aside=2C I did not get to bird as much as I had planned today.  Yeste=
rday someone smashed my driver side mirror off the car at work=2C so that p=
ut a dent into my plans.  At least until I could have something done tempor=
arily so that I can still drive the car until it can be fixed next week. I'=
ll bash the collision centre for doing absolutely nothing to make the car d=
riveable and throw roses to my mechanic or car person who made me operation=
al. The mirror having the cables still attached works fine and unless you l=
ook closely you would think nothing was wrong with it.  So its straight ahe=
ad with the birds again and no worries about being pulled over with a fine =
or the excess cost of a rent a car for close to a week.  Repairs will occur=
 next week when the collision centre has the part. =20

=20

Four tree swallows were at Kingsburg and in regards to my travels today=2C =
most people that I spoke to at Kingsburg and at East Port Medway still have=
 hummingbirds coming to their feeders.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport =20

New! Faster Messenger access on the new MSN homepage
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677406=

--_ecb15ea6-631e-4759-bbc8-10ddab9055bc_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I'm sitting her puzzling over a butterfly that I saw at Second Peninsula on=
 Aug. 26.&nbsp=3B Unfortunately=2C I did not remember my camera which was i=
n the car so do not have a photo of it.&nbsp=3B The butterfly in question m=
ore closely resembles a painted lady than anything else that I can find.&nb=
sp=3B It was orange in color=2C with a dark blue body in the shape of what =
you would see with a painted lady and the head the same.&nbsp=3B Size match=
es.&nbsp=3B Now the only problem with this butterfly is that - well my desc=
ription in my notes clinches it.&nbsp=3B It was a painted lady.&nbsp=3B So =
I guess I don't need any assist with the id.&nbsp=3B I noted 3 white dots&n=
bsp=3Bwith a scythe on the wing and a half scythe and 2 dots on either side=
 on the bottom.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Today there was a dragon hunter at East Port Medway<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Bird wise it was very quiet at Hell's Point with only one spotted sandpiper=
 and two least sandpipers.&nbsp=3B The tide was low though and the shorebir=
ds tend to be present there at high tide.&nbsp=3B At Kingsburg Beach there =
was a lone whimbrel.&nbsp=3B Oddly enough my friend David Walmark tells me =
that a pair were present at that location all summer.&nbsp=3B They did not =
migrate when they should have.&nbsp=3B They arrived in the spring and staye=
d right through.&nbsp=3B After the summer now there is only one remaining a=
s of the past week.&nbsp=3B Numbers of other shorebirds were also present a=
t Kingsburg Beach.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On an aside=2C I did not get to bird as much as I had planned today.&nbsp=
=3B Yesterday someone smashed my driver side mirror off the car at work=2C =
so that put a dent into my plans.&nbsp=3B At least until I could have somet=
hing done temporarily so that I can still drive the car until it can be fix=
ed next week.&nbsp=3BI'll bash the collision centre for doing absolutely no=
thing to make the car driveable and&nbsp=3Bthrow roses to my mechanic&nbsp=
=3Bor car person who made me operational.&nbsp=3BThe mirror having the cabl=
es still attached works fine and unless you look closely you would think no=
thing was wrong with it.&nbsp=3B So its straight ahead with the birds again=
 and no worries about being pulled over with a fine&nbsp=3Bor the excess co=
st of a rent a car for close to a week.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BRepairs will occur n=
ext week when the collision centre&nbsp=3Bhas the part.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Four tree swallows were at Kingsburg&nbsp=3Band in regards to my travels to=
day=2C most people that I spoke to&nbsp=3Bat Kingsburg and at East Port Med=
way still have hummingbirds coming to their feeders.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport&nbsp=3B <BR><br /><hr />New! Hotmail sign-in on the <a href=3D'http=
://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9677401' target=3D'_new'>MSN homepage.</a></b=
ody>

--_ecb15ea6-631e-4759-bbc8-10ddab9055bc_--