[NatureNS] Little Blue Heron, Eastern Kingbirds, Baltimore Oriole, Pied-billed

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:37:29 +0000

--_6bc430cc-0b12-4a2d-aa00-e7a97b11695e_

Dorothy Poole and I took a run to Blanche and Bacarro and then to Cape Sabl=
e Island.  The weather was not bad initially=2C but steadily turned for the=
 worse.  Anyhow=2C considering the weather I was able to tally 64 species. =
 I started the day with the juvenile little egret at LaHave.  I had tried f=
or this bird numerous times without success but this morning there it was a=
cross in the pond from house 3698.  I continued along my way and just befor=
e Volgler's Cove by a farm=2C I was surprised to find three eastern kingbir=
ds perched on a wire. =20

=20

At Beaverdam there was a group of 25 dark-eyed juncos.  This is the largest=
 group I've seen in a while so they appear to be banding together in migrat=
ion.

=20

Port Clyde was wonderful.  We walked the short section of the rail trail to=
 the tressle bridge.  There were:

=20

Black-capped chickadee 23

Double-crested cormorant 15

Belted Kingfisher 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2 (maybe more)

Swamp sparrow 1

black & white warbler 1

Palm warbler 5

red-eyed vireo 3

northern parula 5

blue-headed vireo 4

American redstart 3

yellow-rumped warbler 5

song sparrow 3

American robin 1

red-breasted nuthatch 1

golden-crowned kinglet 1

white-throated sparrow 5

gray catbird 1

Baltimore oriole 1

European starling 7

chestnut-sided warbler 1

blue jay 1

=20

At the Blanche Peninsula a solitary sandpiper

=20

At Reynoldscroft a pied-billed grebe (at the location where the Canvasback =
had been over the winter)

=20

At Bacarro=20

=20

Of note lots of northern gannets in close.  Probably around 90

=20

Black Guillemots 24

=20

Common Eider Approximately 568.  It was hard to get a good count due to hea=
vy rain by that point.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Stay in the loop and chat with friends=2C right from your inbox!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671354=

--_6bc430cc-0b12-4a2d-aa00-e7a97b11695e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Dorothy Poole and I took a run to Blanche and Bacarro and then to Cape Sabl=
e Island.&nbsp=3B The weather was not bad initially=2C but steadily turned =
for the worse.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C considering the weather I was able to tall=
y 64 species.&nbsp=3B I started the day with the juvenile little egret at L=
aHave.&nbsp=3B I had tried for this bird numerous times without success but=
 this morning there it was across in the pond from house 3698.&nbsp=3B I co=
ntinued along my way and just before Volgler's Cove by a farm=2C I was surp=
rised to find three eastern kingbirds perched on a wire.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Beaverdam there was a group of 25 dark-eyed juncos.&nbsp=3B This is the =
largest group I've seen in a while so they appear to be banding together in=
 migration.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Port Clyde was wonderful.&nbsp=3B We walked the short section of the rail t=
rail to the tressle bridge.&nbsp=3B There were:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Black-capped chickadee 23<BR>
Double-crested cormorant 15<BR>
Belted Kingfisher 1<BR>
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2 (maybe more)<BR>
Swamp sparrow 1<BR>
black &amp=3B white warbler 1<BR>
Palm warbler 5<BR>
red-eyed vireo 3<BR>
northern parula 5<BR>
blue-headed vireo 4<BR>
American redstart 3<BR>
yellow-rumped warbler 5<BR>
song sparrow 3<BR>
American robin 1<BR>
red-breasted nuthatch 1<BR>
golden-crowned kinglet 1<BR>
white-throated sparrow 5<BR>
gray catbird 1<BR>
Baltimore oriole 1<BR>
European starling 7<BR>
chestnut-sided warbler 1<BR>
blue jay 1<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At the Blanche Peninsula a solitary sandpiper<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Reynoldscroft a pied-billed grebe (at the location where the Canvasback =
had been over the winter)<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Bacarro <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note lots of northern gannets in close.&nbsp=3B Probably around 90<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Black Guillemots 24<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Common Eider Approximately 568.&nbsp=3B It was hard to get a good count due=
 to heavy rain by that point.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Stay in the loop and chat with friends=2C right from=
 your inbox! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671349' target=
=3D'_new'>Learn how!</a></body>

--_6bc430cc-0b12-4a2d-aa00-e7a97b11695e_--