[NatureNS] Santalina Island?

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:47:16 -0300 (ADT)
From: bdigout@seaside.ns.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

     I think it is a sign of things to come... Near French Cove on the
Bras D'Or there was a rocky island when I was growing up.  The island
was probably 50 ft by 200 ft.  My father said he had made hay on the
island.  Today, at low tide, one rock is visible just above the
surface;   the herons seem to be walking on water, as it's several
hundred meters from shore...........At high tide there is nothing...a
definite boating hazard, but marked by a light buoy.     Rising tides
and/or ice movement have taken their toll.  On the positive side, it
seems to attract lots of small fish, and therefore terns and gulls as
well.
Billy