[NatureNS] Canadian Coast Guard - Tern enemy

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:57:38 +0000

--_13b62074-b9e6-4161-af0f-85d7de88de58_

An article to the editor of the Lunenburg Progress Enterprise/Bridgewater B=
ulletin does not make the Coast Guard very popular.  This appears in the ed=
ition of Tues. Aug. 11=2C 2009 p. A17  I will quote it.

=20

"Coast Guard Contributes to lack of tern population

=20

I am writing in regards to the article in the July 28 issue concerning the =
"lack of roseate terns" in the area. =20

=20

We operate the boat tour in Mahone Bay and were able to witness a surprisin=
g event this past July.  We took pictures to be sure we weren't seeing thin=
gs.  The event we witnessed was a Canadian Coast Guard helicopter landing o=
n our tiny=2C protected=2C Westhaver Island in Mahone Bay.

=20

The government=2C through Environment Canada=2C has posted signs to keep aw=
ay from designated islands from spring until late summer to protect endange=
red birds and their nesting sites.  Students are also hired to study and hl=
ep protect these nesting sites.

=20

However=2C in one quick swoop=2C another government agency comes along and =
wipes out all this good work.  The sky was dark with birds and feathers as =
we cruised past Westhaver Island that fateful day.  I am no expert=2C but t=
he wash from those helicopter blades=2C in my opinion=2C would do irreparab=
le damageto those nesting birds and their young.  Ihave talked to a summer =
resident who lives near the island and the helicopter has been seen at West=
haver Island in previous years.

=20

Could the coast guard have used a more unobtrusive form of transportation t=
o access the island?  Of course they could have.  Better yet=2C visit the i=
sland after the nesting season.

=20

Could this be the reason there is a "lack of terns" in the area?  I will be=
 contacting the coast guard to ask them these questions and more.  I invite=
 any concerned citizens to do the same.

=20

Let's hope our government agencies will work together in the future.=20

=20

Gretchen and Chris Banfield=2C Upper LaHave"

=20

There were 160 tern nests on the island=2C which included both common and a=
rctic terns.  I myself have noticed a vast drop in the numbers of terns in =
the area over the past three years.  Especially roseate.  It has been two y=
ears now since I have seen one of those terns here in this area and normall=
y they were easy to see.  Apparently last year there were six tern colonies=
 off of Mahone Bay.  This year only two were recorded.   Anyhow=2C I though=
t a lot of you out there would be interested in this.

Send and receive email from all of your webmail accounts.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9671356=

--_13b62074-b9e6-4161-af0f-85d7de88de58_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
An article to the editor of the Lunenburg Progress Enterprise/Bridgewater B=
ulletin does not make the Coast Guard very popular.&nbsp=3B This appears in=
 the edition of Tues. Aug. 11=2C 2009 p. A17&nbsp=3B I will quote it.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
"Coast Guard Contributes to lack of tern population<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I am writing in regards to the article in the July 28 issue concerning the =
"lack of roseate terns" in the area.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We operate the boat tour in Mahone Bay and were able to witness a surprisin=
g event this past July.&nbsp=3B We took pictures to be sure we weren't seei=
ng things.&nbsp=3B The event we witnessed was a Canadian Coast Guard helico=
pter landing on our tiny=2C protected=2C Westhaver Island in Mahone Bay.<BR=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
The government=2C through Environment Canada=2C has posted signs to keep aw=
ay from designated islands from spring until late summer to protect endange=
red birds and their nesting sites.&nbsp=3B Students are also hired to study=
 and hlep protect these nesting sites.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
However=2C in one quick swoop=2C another government agency comes along and =
wipes out all this good work.&nbsp=3B The sky was dark with birds and feath=
ers as we cruised past Westhaver Island that fateful day.&nbsp=3B I am no e=
xpert=2C but the wash from those helicopter blades=2C in my opinion=2C woul=
d do irreparable damageto those nesting birds and their young.&nbsp=3B Ihav=
e talked to a summer resident who lives near the island and the helicopter =
has been seen at Westhaver Island in previous years.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Could the coast guard have used a more unobtrusive form of transportation t=
o access the island?&nbsp=3B Of course they could have.&nbsp=3B Better yet=
=2C visit the island after the nesting season.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Could this be the reason there is a "lack of terns" in the area?&nbsp=3B I =
will be contacting the coast guard to ask them these questions and more.&nb=
sp=3B I invite any concerned citizens to do the same.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Let's hope our government agencies will work together in the future. <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Gretchen and Chris Banfield=2C Upper LaHave"<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were 160 tern nests on the island=2C which included both common and a=
rctic terns.&nbsp=3B I myself have noticed a vast drop in the numbers of te=
rns in the area over the past three years.&nbsp=3B Especially roseate.&nbsp=
=3B It has been two years now since I have seen one of those terns here in =
this area and normally they were easy to see.&nbsp=3B Apparently last year =
there were six tern colonies off of Mahone Bay.&nbsp=3B This year only two =
were recorded.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C I thought a lot of you out there w=
ould be interested in this.<BR><br /><hr />Send and receive email from all =
of your webmail accounts - right from <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?l=
inkid=3D9671351' target=3D'_new'>your Hotmail inbox!</a></body>

--_13b62074-b9e6-4161-af0f-85d7de88de58_--