[NatureNS] Some shorebirds - Valley

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:03:13 -0300

Thurs Aug 6;
High Tide (2.00 p.m.)

Windsor Sewage Ponds , Hants Co. 2.20p.m.

64+  Blk-bellied Plovers
 1   Lsr Yellowlegs
 1   Gtr Yellowlegs
 1   Ruddy Turnstone

'Eastern tip'- The Guzzle, Long Is., Grand Pre, Kings Co.

3 hrs after High Tide: ~9500 'peeps' in two flocks. One flock of ~7000 were
along the beach to the west about halfway from The Guzzle to the cottages.
The closer flock (2500) held mostly Semip. Sandpipers but about 5% of the
flock consisted of Semip. Plovers, and I noted 2 Sanderlings and 10+
Wh-rumps also in the mix.  No sign of any raptors.

Half an hour before high tide I had checked The Guzzle area hoping to find a
sizable  'roost' of shorebirds gathering amid the dozen or so bass anglers,
as they have in the past, but there were almost more anglers than
shorebirds!

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts