[NatureNS] Re; Rare Flower

From: "Virginia Redden" <vredden@efpservices.ca>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:30:17 -0300

Hi Everyone, I have had many responses to my request for info about our 'rare
flower'. So many people were interested and also helpful.  I received the
following reply from Carl Munden. I asked if I could post it for all the
people who inquired about my flowers. Thanks to everyone.
Virginia Redden
Port Howe Cumb Co

Virginia: Your pink ones are Platanthera psycodes....nectary opening
rectangular or dumbell shaped, lacerations on lip short. The gone off are
probably Platanthera grandiflora. Had you seen them 2 weeks earlier they would
have been the same pinkish colour. Both species can reach 1 metre tall when
they are "happy campers". Over all their NE North American range, the two will
bloom at the same time EXCEPT Nova Scotia where, P. grandiflora blooms from
mid to end of July and P. psycodes from begining to mid August. A good place
to see hundreds of psycodes is All of Cape Breton and Brier Island. P.
grandiflora is rather uncommon in NS. You are very fortunate to have a
location where both species are in close proximity. You can get more detail
about the two in my book "NATIVE ORCHIDS of NOVA SCOTIA."
> Do not feel bad about the Prairie Fringed Orchid...I, myself have been
fooled a couple of times before but always by the Ragged Fringed P. lacera.