[NatureNS] "swallows"? barn? cliff? at Port L'hebert

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:47:45 -0300
From: "Margaret E.Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

margin-left: 0px
I am sorry Jim, I should have taken better look. As to "many" I guess it
means more than three pair.........(what we had here this year) I was
excited to see them. I would say there was a combination of barn swallows
and some that could have been tree (white under, blue above) but gave the
sense of being bigger than the ones here. I would say a rough guess would be
at least a dozen of the one maybe two pair of the other but they were up by
the big plant's roof  and mostly moving awfully fast. I am adjusting to new
glasses and when I look up I get seasick. In the shed, barn swallows were
all I saw. Cliffs.....I am not all that familiar with them but they are
reddish and wrinkly looking under, no? I was looking for swifts and thought
maybe but .......I don't think so. Ah, I could send the pictures I took if
you were was interested. I think there are two in the girders and more over
the plant. be aware my camera isn't very powerful and some of the outside
ones hardly show anything at all. I didn't go that far inside  but I saw at
least four nests that were occupied and about to fledge and there were
others that had been occupied if the waste beneath was anything so......the
parent birds were swooping down at me and I didn't want them distressed so I
left.
Marg
http://margmillard.ca