[NatureNS] First of the shorebirds - Wolfville area, Merlin.

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:50:05 -0300

Shorebirds are just beginning to turn up in this area.

Wolfville Harbour:

July 18/09:
S-b Dowitcher(1), Yellowlegs sp.(2), Willets(17)

July 20/09:
peeps(6)- one was a Least Sandpiper, S-b Dowitcher(4), Yellowlegs sp.(2),
Willets(3)

Grand Pre- Evangeline Beach (canteen area) High tide.
A visitor there today said that he had seen a flock of 100+ small shorebirds
flying by, a few mins. previously.

Checking with Bob and Joan Bearne's at their Evangeline Beach cottage (Grand
Pre), they had not seen any but a neighbouring cottager saw a very
small(?)flock of shorebirds around the 19th - their first sighting of any
peeps.

While I was leaving, Joan and I heard a MERLIN calling from the trees along
the cottage shoreline to the west of Bearne's cottage, indicating the
possibility of a nest nearby.

July 20 and 22:

D.U. pond, Cornwallis River Crossing Rd, w. end of New Minas:
~100 Mallards.  Water level has dropped to such an extent that these ducks
are now easily able to reach the bottom of the pond to search for food.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts
    Wolfville