[NatureNS] Documenting Chimney Swifts - Halifax location inactive

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:39:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Jim and all,

         As far as documenting where Chimney Swifts nest, I've been
meaning for ages to report that Chimney Swifts no longer appear to be
nesting in the big stone chimneys of the buildings at the University
of King's College in Halifax.  A couple of  pairs have nested there
for years, but the last year in which I saw them was 2006.  I always
knew when they were around because I would hear and see them in the
daytime over the campus and surrounding area.  I spent an evening or
two watching for them in earlier years, but in 2007 and 2008 I
watched for several nights and saw none.   I have not seen any
Chimney Swifts over peninsular Halifax so far this year at
all.  There has been some repair work on the King's chimneys in
recent years, but while a couple have been capped, six or seven are
still open, including the two that were most recently used by the
Chimney Swifts.

         Since negative information is also information, I thought
I'd pass this on.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax