[NatureNS] Re Chimney Swifts & barn nests etc. (long)

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:12:45 -0300
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca, Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>,

--Boundary_(ID_FH5MRH8DwCsFVyXNB2rn3A)

James, I never got your original July 10 note, because I was =20
unsubscribed at the time, but thankfully Andy's post also had your =20
interesting notes as well.  Yes, please do send me those e-mails and =20
photos you got of swifts nesting in 3 different barns.  My only =20
experience with a barn nesting site was at East Dalhousie in a =20
hayloft with a large window for flying in and out.

Good for you in putting in the chimney swifts info' and request for =20
public info' about possible sites for both roosting and nesting =20
swifts, in your newspaper column.  I'm glad you got the feedback, and =20=

so quickly, too.  Can you also send me a copy of what you wrote for =20
the Bridgewater newspaper?  I think it's a great idea widely let the =20
public know that we are desperately wanting to learn about nesting =20
(and roosting) habitats for swifts not just in Nova Scotia, but from =20
Newfoundland all the way westward to Saskatchewan.

  People need to know about these really unique birds and how =20
ENDANGERED they have become over the past 40 years or more of severe =20
decline.  Even in Wolfville, where we have had ongoing known interest =20=

in the species since the 1970s or earlier, we know almost nothing =20
about how many local nesters there are and where they are.

People who have swifts nesting in their chimneys become aware of them =20=

for two major reasons: a bit of litter that appears from time to time =20=

in fireplaces (twigs, eggshells, fallen swift babies/nestlings/=20
fledglings), and the loud buzzing noises that the youngsters produce =20
often when they think a parent is nearby with food to deliver (the =20
same sort of noises that nestling woodpeckers make in their =20
cavities).  The litter and noise can turn off home-owners and cause =20
them to stop these occurrences by capping their chimneys in various =20
ways that keep the swifts out.

I have just had a meeting with Karen Potter, who is working for =20
Environment Canada in Dartmouth on species at risk and has collected =20
a lot of information on what various provinces are doing to help the =20
recovery of chimney swifts, e.g. Ontario, Manitoba, Quebec, New =20
Brunswick.  Below I have included a recent news item from Ontario, =20
via Bird Studies Canada, as an example.

Ontario Chimney Swift Blitz Results

15 July 2009 =96 The reports are in, and Ontario birders contributed a =20=

great effort for BSC=92s first Ontario-wide Chimney Swift blitz on the =20=

weekend of June 26-28. We received about 80 accounts of Chimney =20
Swifts from 35 different communities, covering areas from Niagara to =20
North Bay, most of which reported nesting behaviour. These reports =20
have all been added to a central database of sightings from across =20
Ontario (and sometimes beyond) that will be used to direct future =20
recovery and monitoring efforts in the province. Thanks to all who =20
participated to make the Chimney Swift blitz a success.
    This blitz was undertaken as part of Ontario SwiftWatch, funded =20
through the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Species at Risk =20
Stewardship Fund. The goal of Ontario SwiftWatch is to establish =20
community-based Chimney Swift monitoring across the province to help =20
track distribution and abundance, identify important habitat, and =20
direct future recovery efforts for this federally threatened species.
    Have you noticed Chimney Swifts in your area? The official blitz =20
weekend has passed, but we are still looking for volunteer Chimney =20
Swift monitors in cities across Ontario. For more information, or to =20
become a volunteer, please contact Elisabeth van Stam (1-888-448-2473 =20=

ext.173, evanstam@birdscanada.org) or Hazel Wheeler (1-888-448-2473 =20
ext. 165, hwheeler@birdscanada.org).

----------------------------

Needless to say, any actual used or potential habitats for our swifts =20=

need to be documented and preserved, particularly until not only new =20
and artificial towers can be built for them but actually colonized =20
and successfully used.  Karen says that some such towers in other =20
provinces are up to seven years old but have not been used much so =20
far.  It is quite possible that design improvements will be necessary =20=

for such towers in relatively cold and northern locations (compare =20
central Canada and Maritimes with Texas and other southern states, =20
where the designs were developed and field-tested).  Modern chimneys, =20=

and older chimneys with smooth liners put in them, are mostly useless =20=

for both nesting and roosting swifts.

Regarding public campaigns, people need to find out about what times =20
of year are safe for chimney cleaning, so that active nesting doesn't =20=

get disrupted.  And I have wondered for a long time about contacting =20
the chimney sweeping industry for some two-way information as well, =20
for the good of the swifts.

Sorry to go on for so long, but the swifts are desperate for help!!

Cheers?? from Jim in Wolfville

P.S. Andy, I still haven't answered your question and offer, but =20
thanks for them!

On 10-Jul-09, at 6:21 PM, Andrew Horn wrote:

> Hi James, Jim,
>
> James raises an excellent point. I suspect that BSC or CWS will get =20=

> something centralized going soon (Jim, maybe you know the latest?). =20=

> But in the meantime, if you want any help in setting up a website =20
> for some kind of monitoring program, I'd be happy to help.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> On 10-Jul-09, at 5:24 PM, James Hirtle wrote:
>
>> HI all:
>>
>> For my Bird Notes column that I write weekly for the local paper, =20
>> I put in a reference to Ontario and the Chimney Swift monitoring =20
>> project that they currently have going on.  I made note that there =20=

>> are people also in Nova Scotia who are paying close attention to =20
>> this species and if anyone knew of any locations where these birds =20=

>> might be roosting/nesting to let me know so that I could pass the =20
>> information on.  I did get a response from Cherryfield.  It is =20
>> interesting that the person noted that 5-6 pairs of chimney swifts =20=

>> were coming into his barn and are nesting.  A follow-up let me =20
>> know that at least two other barns in the area have chimney swifts =20=

>> nesting in them.  I myself did not know that this species would =20
>> nest in barns, so this is also something that atlasers might want =20
>> to investigate for their squares.  Anyhow, I was even sent some =20
>> nice pictures of the swift nest, eggs and the swift in the nest =20
>> taken inside of the barn.  To Jim Wolford, I know that you are =20
>> tracking swift information, so if you would like me to send you a =20
>> copy of the emails and the pictures that I received let me know.  =20
>> Also, any others who are currently doing a study let me know.  I =20
>> know a lady contacted me earlier and if she could get in touch =20
>> with me again, I will pass the information I have on to you.
>>
>> James R. Hirtle
>> Bayport
>>
>> Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.

--Boundary_(ID_FH5MRH8DwCsFVyXNB2rn3A)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
James, I never got your original July 10 note, because I was =
unsubscribed at the time, but thankfully Andy's post also had your =
interesting notes as well. =A0Yes, please do send me those e-mails and =
photos you got of swifts nesting in 3 different barns. =A0My only =
experience with a barn nesting site was at East Dalhousie in a hayloft =
for you in putting in the chimney swifts info' and request for public =
info' about possible sites for both roosting and nesting swifts, in your =
newspaper column. =A0I'm glad you got the feedback, and so quickly, too. =
=A0Can you also send me a copy of what you wrote for the Bridgewater =
newspaper? =A0I think it's a great idea widely let the public know that =
we are desperately wanting to learn about nesting (and roosting) =
habitats for swifts not just in Nova Scotia, but from Newfoundland all =
to know about these really unique birds and how ENDANGERED they have =
become over the past 40 years or more of severe decline. =A0Even in =
Wolfville, where we have had ongoing known interest in the species since =
the 1970s or earlier, we know almost nothing about how many local =
who have swifts nesting in their chimneys become aware of them for two =
major reasons: a bit of litter that appears from time to time in =
fireplaces (twigs, eggshells, fallen swift babies/nestlings/fledglings), =
and the loud buzzing noises that the youngsters produce often when they =
think a parent is nearby with food to deliver (the same sort of noises =
that nestling woodpeckers make in their cavities). =A0The litter and =
noise can turn off home-owners and cause them to stop these occurrences =
by capping their chimneys in various ways that keep the swifts =
Potter, who is working for Environment Canada in Dartmouth on species at =
risk and has collected a lot of information on what various provinces =
are doing to help the recovery of chimney swifts, e.g. Ontario, =
Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick. =A0Below I have included a recent news =
item from Ontario, via Bird Studies Canada, as an =
0.0px"><font face=3D"Arial" size=3D"5" style=3D"font: 16.0px =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px"><font face=3D"Times New =
Roman" size=3D"5" color=3D"#da251a" style=3D"font: 16.0px Times New =
Roman" size=3D"5" style=3D"font: 16.0px Times New Roman"> =96 The =
reports are in, and Ontario birders contributed a great effort for BSC=92s=
 first Ontario-wide Chimney Swift blitz on the weekend of June 26-28. We =
received about 80 accounts of Chimney Swifts from 35 different =
communities, covering areas from Niagara to North Bay, most of which =
reported nesting behaviour. These reports have all been added to a =
central database of sightings from across Ontario (and sometimes beyond) =
that will be used to direct future recovery and monitoring efforts in =
the province. Thanks to all who participated to make the Chimney Swift =
blitz a success. <br> =A0=A0 This blitz was undertaken as part of =
Ontario SwiftWatch, funded through the Ontario Ministry of Natural =
Resources Species at Risk Stewardship Fund. The goal of Ontario =
SwiftWatch is to establish community-based Chimney Swift monitoring =
across the province to help track distribution and abundance, identify =
important habitat, and direct future recovery efforts for this federally =
threatened species. <br> =A0=A0 Have you noticed Chimney Swifts in your =
area? The official blitz weekend has passed, but we are still looking =
for volunteer Chimney Swift monitors in cities across Ontario. For more =
information, or to become a volunteer, please contact Elisabeth van Stam =
(1-888-448-2473 ext.173, <a href=3D"mailto:evanstam@birdscanada.org"><font=
 color=3D"#3f3a28" style=3D"color: =
(1-888-448-2473 ext. 165, <a =
href=3D"mailto:hwheeler@birdscanada.org"><font color=3D"#3f3a28" =
style=3D"color: =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px"><font =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" face=3D"'Times New Roman'" size=3D"4"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-size: =
0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" face=3D"'Times =
New Roman'" size=3D"4"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-size: 16px;">Needless to say, any actual used or potential =
habitats for our swifts need to be documented and preserved, =
particularly until not only new and artificial towers can be built for =
them but actually colonized and successfully used. =A0Karen says that =
some such towers in other provinces are up to seven years old but have =
not been used much so far. =A0It is quite possible that design =
improvements will be necessary for such towers in relatively cold and =
northern locations (compare central Canada and Maritimes with Texas and =
other southern states, where the designs were developed and =
field-tested). =A0Modern chimneys, and older chimneys with smooth liners =
put in them, are mostly useless for both nesting and roosting =
0.0px"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: 'Times New =
Roman'; font-size: 16px; ">Regarding public campaigns, people need to =
find out about what times of year are safe for chimney cleaning, so that =
active nesting doesn't get disrupted. =A0And I have wondered for a long =
time about contacting the chimney sweeping industry for some two-way =
information as well, for the good of the swifts.</span></p><p =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: 'Times New Roman'; =
font-size: 16px; ">Sorry to go on for so long, but the swifts are =
desperate for help!!</span></p><p style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px =
0.0px"><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: 'Times New =
Roman'; font-size: 16px; ">Cheers?? from Jim in Wolfville</span></p><p =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 16.0px 0.0px"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: 'Times New Roman'; =
font-size: 16px; ">P.S. Andy, I still haven't answered your question and =
offer, but thanks for them! =
10-Jul-09, at 6:21 PM, Andrew Horn wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Hi James, =
BSC or CWS will get something centralized going soon (Jim, maybe you =
know the latest?). But in the meantime, if you want any help in setting =
up a website for some kind of monitoring program, I'd be happy to =
div>On 10-Jul-09, at 5:24 PM, James Hirtle wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div class=3D"hmmessage" =
style=3D"font-size: 10pt; font-family: Verdana; ">HI all:<br>=A0<br>For =
my Bird Notes column that I write weekly for the local paper, I put in a =
reference to Ontario and the Chimney Swift monitoring project that they =
currently have going on.=A0 I made note that there are people also in =
Nova Scotia who are paying close attention to this species and if anyone =
knew of any locations where these birds might be roosting/nesting to let =
me know so that I could pass the information on.=A0 I did get a response =
from Cherryfield.=A0 It is interesting that the person noted that 5-6 =
pairs of chimney swifts were coming into his barn and are nesting.=A0 A =
follow-up let me know that at least two other barns in the area have =
chimney swifts nesting in them.=A0 I myself did not know that this =
species would nest in barns, so this is also something that atlasers =
might want to investigate for their squares.=A0 Anyhow, I was even sent =
some nice pictures of the swift nest, eggs and the swift in the nest =
taken inside of the barn.=A0 To Jim Wolford, I know that you are =
tracking swift information, so if you would like me to send you a copy =
of the emails and the pictures that I received let me know.=A0 Also, any =
others who are currently doing a study let me know.=A0 I know a lady =
contacted me earlier and if she could get in touch with me again, I will =
pass the information I have on to you.<br>=A0<br>James R. =
your friends,<span class=3D"Apple-converted-space">=A0</span><a =
href=3D"http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9660824" target=3D"_new">in =
one =

--Boundary_(ID_FH5MRH8DwCsFVyXNB2rn3A)--