[NatureNS] search for Yellow-Throated Vireo, Least Bittern and Cow Bay Egret(s)

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:22:17 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000e0cd5194ecb926c046ee5d658

Hi folks,
some updates from a recent trip with Mike Russell, 14-16 July:

- NO SIGN OF MALE YELLOW-THROATED VIREO on morning of July 14th (originally
observed by James and Kier Gigeroff on 2 occasions in late June) in Saint
John River Valley, NB.

- GREAT-CRESTED FLYCATCHERS. Near Jemseg bridge, NB, observed 8 or 9 very
aggressive individuals within 100m2 of each other and finally concluded that
we had two families (4 parents and 4 or 5 fledged young). (WARBLING VIREO
and BALTIMORE ORIOLE here as well)

- at Tantramar marsh observed a flock of about 47 individual BOBOLINKS in
hay field. Initially, observed a pair with fledglings fly up from field,
which, shortly thereafter were joined by dozens more within a 30m2 area.
Apparently this is a typical post-fledge phenomenon. Following is from Birds
of North America Species Account:

*"Within 6 d after first young leave nests, fledglings and associated adults
from several nests join in flock; remain in group until birds depart
breeding meadow and possibly longer. Flock increases in size as additional
immatures and adults from other nests join. Flock is mobile, gradually
moving as a unit over entire meadow. Within flock, adults continue feeding
their own young, for up to at least 28 d after birds leave nest"*

- NO SIGN OF LEAST BITTERNs in Amherst Point Marsh that were originally
observed by Clarence Stevens et al. in late June, although not all marshes
were visited and winds were strong most of night.

- From beach near COW BAY parking lot, no sign of EGRET. From Kayak in COW
BAY LAKE were able to avoid nesting area and observe north-facing edges of
sedge (?) clumps and found ONE EGRET. Upon first glance appeared to be snowy
egret as, no head plume was visible. However, head plume was clearly visible
only when individual bowed head to feed, or when walking or flying between
sites and we therefore concluded that it was in fact a LITTLE EGRET. This
was confirmed by both observers and also evident on captured video when
viewed in slow motion (video or frames available upon request). NO SECOND
EGRET OBSERVED.

all the best,
James.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM, <iamclar@dal.ca> wrote:

> All:
>
> Marie Reid e-mailed this a.m. to say that two Snwoy Egrets are still at the
> Cow
> Bay marsh (she had reported them a couple of weeks ago).  Obviously one or
> both
> might be checked for Little Egret.

Berwick, Nova Scotia
jameslchurchill@gmail.com
mobile: (902) 698-3402

--000e0cd5194ecb926c046ee5d658

Hi folks, <br>some updates from a recent trip with Mike Russell, 14-16 July=
: <br><br>- NO SIGN OF MALE YELLOW-THROATED VIREO on morning of July 14th (=
originally observed by James and Kier Gigeroff on 2 occasions in late June)=
 in Saint John River Valley, NB. <br>

ry aggressive individuals within 100m2 of each other and finally concluded =
that we had two families (4 parents and 4 or 5 fledged young). (WARBLING VI=
REO and BALTIMORE ORIOLE here as well)<br>
- at Tantramar marsh observed a flock of about 47 individual BOBOLINKS in h=
ay field. Initially, observed a pair with fledglings fly up from field, whi=
ch, shortly thereafter were joined by dozens more within a 30m2 area. Appar=
ently this is a typical post-fledge phenomenon. Following is from Birds of =
North America Species Account: <br>

iated
adults from several nests join in flock; remain in group until birds
depart breeding meadow and possibly longer. Flock increases in size as
additional immatures and adults from other nests join. Flock is mobile,
gradually moving as a unit over entire meadow. Within flock, adults
continue feeding their own young, for up to at least 28 d after birds
rsh that were originally observed by Clarence Stevens et al. in late June, =
although not all marshes were visited and winds were strong most of night.<=
br>
=A0<br>- From beach near COW BAY parking lot, no sign of EGRET. From Kayak =
in COW BAY LAKE were able to avoid nesting area and observe north-facing ed=
ges of sedge (?) clumps and found ONE EGRET. Upon first glance appeared to =
be snowy egret as, no head plume was visible. However, head plume was clear=
ly visible only when individual bowed head to feed, or when walking or flyi=
ng between sites and we therefore concluded that it was in fact a LITTLE EG=
RET. This was confirmed by both observers and also evident on captured vide=
o when viewed in slow motion (video or frames available upon request). NO S=
ECOND EGRET OBSERVED.<br>

>On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 2=
04, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

All:<br>
Marie Reid e-mailed this a.m. to say that two Snwoy Egrets are still at the=
 Cow<br>
Bay marsh (she had reported them a couple of weeks ago). =A0Obviously one o=
r both<br>
Scotia<br><a href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">ja=

--000e0cd5194ecb926c046ee5d658--