[NatureNS] Hummingbirds - male numbers down?

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:09:37 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00163662e63d4ed2d7046ed694f7

Hi,

Certainly in our own backyard, and the areas in the Valley where I have been
atlassing I get the feeling that Hummingbird numbers of both sexes and all
ages are much as usual. But all this raises some interesting general
questions and comments about numbers --

How do you know that there is only 1 male Hummingbird, and not several that
choose to visit a particularly enticing flower or feeder at different times?
Or, that the guy down the road has planted something even more enticing this
year?

It's hard to draw inferences from general feelings at a particular location.
When I used to edit the section including Chickadees years ago for NS Birds,
I was always bewildered when some people sent in observations e.g. "Lots of
Chickadees around this summer" and from someone else in the same area
"hardly any Chickadees around this Summer - are they in trouble"?, when I
myself had observed large numbers of Chickadees everywhere I went in th
Province. There are several long-term studies that are ongoing, that
indicate long-term trends in the Province very well, e.g. the Breeding Bird
Survey, Xmas Count data, and hopefully in a few years, comparisons between
the 1st Atlas and the current one. The first 2 studies are available on
line. The 5-10 year trends for some birds are up (e.g. N.Cardinal) and some
are down (e.g. many Warblers). There is a nice article in the present issue
of Bird Studies Canada (should be free if you took part in a Xmas Count and
paid) about grassland bird populations such as Bobolinks in the Maritimes,
and the factors influencing their downward trend.

Generally, if multiple people keep tabs on a species and there is
consistency in a trend, then it usually means that there is indeed a
population change. But like all of us, it's important to keep observing!

My 2c. worth!

Richard

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Yes we only have one male among the hummingbirds at our cottage feeder at
> Angevine.  Are others noticing male hummingbird numbers are down?
>
> ##################
> Richard Stern,
> 317 Middle Dyke Rd.
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> B0P 1T0
>
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> ###################

--00163662e63d4ed2d7046ed694f7

e been atlassing=A0I get the feeling that Hummingbird numbers of both sexes=
 and all ages are much as usual. But all this raises some interesting gener=
al questions and comments about numbers --</div>

 that choose to visit a particularly enticing flower or feeder at different=
 times? Or, that the guy down the road has planted something even more enti=
cing this year?</div>

 location. When I used to edit the section including Chickadees years ago f=
or NS Birds, I was always bewildered when some people sent in observations =
e.g. &quot;Lots of Chickadees around this summer&quot; and from someone els=
e in the same area &quot;hardly any Chickadees around this Summer - are the=
y in trouble&quot;?, when I myself had observed large numbers of Chickadees=
 everywhere I went in th Province. There are several long-term studies that=
 are ongoing, that indicate long-term trends in the Province very well, e.g=
. the Breeding Bird Survey, Xmas Count data, and hopefully in a few years, =
comparisons between the 1st Atlas and the current one. The first 2 studies =
are available on line. The 5-10 year trends for some birds are up (e.g. N.C=
ardinal) and some are down (e.g. many Warblers). There is a nice article in=
 the present issue of Bird Studies Canada (should be free if you took part =
in a Xmas Count and paid) about grassland bird populations such as Bobolink=
s in the Maritimes, and the factors influencing their downward trend.</div>

istency in=A0a trend, then it usually means that there is indeed a populati=
on change. But like all of us, it&#39;s important to keep observing!</div>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
er=A0at Angevine.=A0 Are others noticing male hummingbird numbers are down?=
Port Williams, NS, Canada<br>

B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail=

--00163662e63d4ed2d7046ed694f7--