[NatureNS] Hummingbirds - male numbers down?

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: Nature Nova Scotia <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:51:42 -0300

--_ba7e2ff1-b2e7-42c7-a8d8-49fad6f8f1fd_

Yes we only have one male among the hummingbirds at our cottage feeder at A=
ngevine.  Are others noticing male hummingbird numbers are down?
=20
> [...]
> are memorizing the neighbourhood and the location of the houses. The=20
> interesting thing=2C maybe sad......the insects definately were not there=
 this=20
> year and the neat thing was there were more than just the parent birds=20
> helping feed the young. I am assuming this didn't just happen here. Birds=
=20
> swooped in and everyone brought food for a bit then all adults left for s=
ome=20
> time most days. I wasn't aware of this before.
> We have had young bluejays being fed by starling mom's=2C a song sparrow =
feeds=20
> anything that opens a mouth and squawks=2C flickers bringing their young =
here.=20
> Juncos have come with some babies that look like they are part pine=20
> siskin/sparrow and woodpeckers........man the wood pecker babies we have=
=20
> been feeding. I ahve one young one that I think the mother was hit by a c=
ar.=20
> She would drop in her swoop just as cars come down that slope out front a=
nd=20
> I saw her (I think) on the road. I couldn't stop just then and when I got=
=20
> back the body was gone. Later I saw young crows working something over=20
> pretty good. The young one has been here shrieking a lot and calling now=
=20
> for a week and so far he/she has pecked holes in just about everything. I=
t=20
> does eat from the seed cake and is pounding the daylights out of the oak=
=20
> down front. Hopefully he is getting a balanced meal. I am not seeing fly=
=20
> catchers=2C vireos=2C or even many warblers. I am not seeing any bees=2C =
wasps or=20
> hornets at all. We had a few June bugs but nothing like we had before. No=
t=20
> that I am complaining but the blackflies hit really hard today and there=
=20
> were so many it was hard to breath. My bug jacket was in the car so I had=
 to=20
> retreat to the house. There were a few grasshoppers for awhile and now th=
ey=20
> seem to be gone. Usually by now the birds various are hoping after them.=
=20
> There are lots of earwigs though.
> Hummingbird activity is minimal. There are two females travelling togethe=
r=20
> and they battle over the feeders with a solitary male as far as I can see=
. A=20
> raccoon visits every night. Robins are gone or incubating again. I don't =
see=20
> them so I suspect they are gone. Very strange to my way of thinking.

We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666047=

--_ba7e2ff1-b2e7-42c7-a8d8-49fad6f8f1fd_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Yes we only have one male&nbsp=3Bamong the hummingbirds at our cottage feed=
er&nbsp=3Bat Angevine.&nbsp=3B Are others noticing male hummingbird numbers=
 are down?<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>&gt=3B Date: Wed=2C 15 Jul 2009 21:12:52 -0300<BR=
m White Point=2C Queens<BR>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt=3B <BR=
>&gt=3B Things aren't as busy as they were but there are still fresh young =
coming <BR>&gt=3B here for the first time. I have been busy so haven't had =
a lot of time to <BR>&gt=3B take notice but some things stand out. We are h=
osting well over 100 starling <BR>&gt=3B young and they are still filtering=
 in although not in the numbers they were <BR>&gt=3B for awhile. Heaven hel=
p this winter if they all come back looking for <BR>&gt=3B groceries!! The =
moms started bringing them before July 1st and there were <BR>&gt=3B days w=
hen it literally rained starling youngsters. Very noisy.<BR>&gt=3B The swal=
lows left July first. I have to take down the house and see if they <BR>&gt=
=3B all left or if there was a death. I can't say they weren't predated but=
 <BR>&gt=3B there have been a number of flybys that make me think the young=
 and parents <BR>&gt=3B are memorizing the neighbourhood and the location o=
f the houses. The <BR>&gt=3B interesting thing=2C maybe sad......the insect=
s definately were not there this <BR>&gt=3B year and the neat thing was the=
re were more than just the parent birds <BR>&gt=3B helping feed the young. =
I am assuming this didn't just happen here. Birds <BR>&gt=3B swooped in and=
 everyone brought food for a bit then all adults left for some <BR>&gt=3B t=
ime most days. I wasn't aware of this before.<BR>&gt=3B We have had young b=
luejays being fed by starling mom's=2C a song sparrow feeds <BR>&gt=3B anyt=
hing that opens a mouth and squawks=2C flickers bringing their young here. =
<BR>&gt=3B Juncos have come with some babies that look like they are part p=
ine <BR>&gt=3B siskin/sparrow and woodpeckers........man the wood pecker ba=
bies we have <BR>&gt=3B been feeding. I ahve one young one that I think the=
 mother was hit by a car. <BR>&gt=3B She would drop in her swoop just as ca=
rs come down that slope out front and <BR>&gt=3B I saw her (I think) on the=
 road. I couldn't stop just then and when I got <BR>&gt=3B back the body wa=
s gone. Later I saw young crows working something over <BR>&gt=3B pretty go=
od. The young one has been here shrieking a lot and calling now <BR>&gt=3B =
for a week and so far he/she has pecked holes in just about everything. It =
<BR>&gt=3B does eat from the seed cake and is pounding the daylights out of=
 the oak <BR>&gt=3B down front. Hopefully he is getting a balanced meal. I =
am not seeing fly <BR>&gt=3B catchers=2C vireos=2C or even many warblers. I=
 am not seeing any bees=2C wasps or <BR>&gt=3B hornets at all. We had a few=
 June bugs but nothing like we had before. Not <BR>&gt=3B that I am complai=
ning but the blackflies hit really hard today and there <BR>&gt=3B were so =
many it was hard to breath. My bug jacket was in the car so I had to <BR>&g=
t=3B retreat to the house. There were a few grasshoppers for awhile and now=
 they <BR>&gt=3B seem to be gone. Usually by now the birds various are hopi=
ng after them. <BR>&gt=3B There are lots of earwigs though.<BR>&gt=3B Hummi=
ngbird activity is minimal. There are two females travelling together <BR>&=
gt=3B and they battle over the feeders with a solitary male as far as I can=
 see. A <BR>&gt=3B raccoon visits every night. Robins are gone or incubatin=
g again. I don't see <BR>&gt=3B them so I suspect they are gone. Very stran=
ge to my way of thinking.<BR>&gt=3B Marg Millard=2C White Point=2C Queens<B=
R>&gt=3B http://margmillard.ca <BR>&gt=3B <BR><br /><hr />We are your photo=
s. Share us now with  <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666045'=
 target=3D'_new'>Windows Live Photos.</a></body>

--_ba7e2ff1-b2e7-42c7-a8d8-49fad6f8f1fd_--