[NatureNS] lack of insects?

Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:32:28 -0300
From: Henk Kwindt <cbatl@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Observations around my property :
Butterflies about normal, but cabbage butterflies seem way down, their
caterpillars all but absent.
Mosquitos way down, which I find most surprising after all the wet weather
we have had.
Black flies somewhat down.
Deer flies fewer than normal.
Not a single lilly beetle so far.
Fruits (apple, pear, plum) have set very poorly, which of course could have
many reasons.
Henk Kwindt, Cow Bay, NS.