[NatureNS] Heavy Binoculars (was Re: Spotting Scope)

Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 21:15:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Gayle,

         If you find your binoculars heavy on your neck, try wearing
a harness.  This takes the pressure off your neck and transfers the
weight to your shoulders.  Camera stores often carry these, as do
nature/birding stores.  Some are stretchy,and may allow the
binoculars to bounce around on your chest; others are designed to
prevent this.  I have one I bought at Carsand Mosher in Halifax some
years ago.  I don't know if they still carry this product, but Pelee
Wings has the same model, and there is a photo on the web
http://www.peleewings.ca/optics.php  Click on birding gear.  I have
the second model (braided cord, rather than webbing).  A clever
person could probably make this model with about $5 worth of supplies
(cord, swivel eye hooks, split rings).  I have neck and shoulder
problems and using the harness definitely reduces the pain that a day
out in the field used to inflict.

         The only problem I found with wearing a harness is that it
is difficult to remove quickly, especially if you are getting in and
out of your car repeatedly and don't want to wear your binoculars
while driving.  It is also cumbersome if you want to share your
binoculars with someone else.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax