[NatureNS] CBC : brown spruce longhorn beetle destroyed thousands of trees in

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:26:45 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C9F51A.DB3FDC00

           If I remember the brown spruce longhorn beetle is the one =
that came into the country from Europe about 1999, and was confined to =
the Halifax area. In the meantime we have another beetle killing spruce =
trees in western Nova Scotia. It first appeared in this area about that =
same time - the spruce bark beetle. It may have been around before that, =
but that was about the time we saw spruce trees dying everwhere.  I had =
four died in my back yard, four more ready to die, four more in the =
woods in back of the house, dozens dying at Sandhills park, and hundreds =
dying elsewhere in this area. I am told this is not serious - they are =
old trees that will provide nourishment in the ground for new trees.  It =
still bothers me that these trees are dying in such large numbers - =
something that never happened in at least the last 60 years that I =
remember. Fir trees used to die young, but spruce trees seemed to live =
forever or at least until they were blown down by a hurricane.
          One good thing I have noticed - I know where there is a =
flicker nest in what is left of an old tree.
Roland.
  ----- Original Message -----=20