[NatureNS] Swallows At Shubie Park

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:24:37 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_2514968==.ALT

Hi Gayle,

         I too have seen Tree Swallows at Shubie=20
- you describe them well.   Two years ago I was=20
at nearby Red Bridge Pond, with Suzanne Borkowski=20
and Bob McDonald, and we noticed that there were=20
Tree Swallows there which were nesting inside the=20
streetlights.   I had seen House Sparrows and=20
Starlings do this before, but never=20
swallows.  Have a look at some light standards next time you are in the=
 area!

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

  At 03:56 PM 21/06/2009, you wrote:
>Just returned from a walk & water retrieve=20
>training session with my Springer at the beach=20
>area of the off-leash section of Shubie Park=20
>here in Dartmouth. It was quite breezy and In=20
>the light drizzle, it was just me & 'Dash'.=20
>Noticed while I was throwing the bumpers into=20
>the water, a number of swallows, zooming around=20
>, some just skimming over the water, their=20
>flight full of dives, twists and turns, after=20
>some kind of insect, I assume. They flew quite=20
>fast and low near me, so I could see that they=20
>had an almost a charcoal back & wings and all=20
>whitish colour underneath. From my Sibley's=20
>guide and from what I could recall in my=20
>sightings, they appeared to be Tree Swallows, perhaps?
>Also, along the pathways, a fox ran right across=20
>the pathway and disappeared into the woods.
>
>Gayle MacLean
>Dartmouth
>

>The new Internet Explorer=AE 8 - Faster, safer,=20
>easier. Optimized for Yahoo!=20
><http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/>Get it Now for Free!

--=====================_2514968==.ALT

Hi Gayle,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I too have
seen Tree Swallows at Shubie - you describe them well.&nbsp;&nbsp; Two
years ago I was at nearby Red Bridge Pond, with Suzanne Borkowski and Bob
McDonald, and we noticed that there were Tree Swallows there which were
nesting inside the streetlights.&nbsp;&nbsp; I had seen House Sparrows
and Starlings do this before, but never swallows.&nbsp; Have a look at
some light standards next time you are in the area!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
&nbsp;At 03:56 PM 21/06/2009, you wrote:<br>
p;
water retrieve training session with my Springer at the beach area of the
off-leash section of Shubie Park here in Dartmouth. It was quite breezy
and In the light drizzle, it was just me &amp; 'Dash'. Noticed while I
was throwing the bumpers into the water, a number of swallows, zooming
around , some just skimming over the water, their flight full of dives,
twists and turns, after some kind of insect, I assume. They flew quite
fast and low near me, so I could see that they had an almost a charcoal
back &amp; wings and all whitish colour underneath. From my Sibley's
guide and from what I could recall in my sightings, they appeared to be
Tree Swallows, perhaps?<br>
Also, along the pathways, a fox ran right across the pathway and
disappeared into the woods.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Gayle MacLean<br>
Dartmouth<br><br>
The new Internet Explorer=AE 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for
Yahoo! <a href=3D"http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/"><b>Get