[NatureNS] Moonwort fern - more, Conrad's Beach

Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:16:45 -0300
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_NhGSRwZ/YvLRb+1VXI1Sjw)

Yes, thanks to Rick for adding that they are rather hard to find.  He
will remember back more than a decade ago when he reported them
there, and it took me at least three tries to find them -- think of
all those greenhouse gases just getting there and back three times!
Rick was very patient with me and eventually described the location
etc. well enough for me to triumphantly find them!

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville

On 20-Jun-09, at 9:57 PM, Angus MacLean wrote:

> Very Interesting plant, Rick. Thanks.
> Angus
>
> At 07:29 PM 20/06/2009, you wrote:
>> Moonwort Grapeferns , Botrychium Lunaria, may be seen along the
>> trail and among the dunes to the north of the wooden walkway at
>> Conrad's Beach, on the way to Lawrencetown, Halifax Country.
>> According to the Peterson Field Guide to Ferns, it is "more common
>> in folklore and fable than in person". This time of the year they
>> are mostly 1" to 3" tall, but stand out a bit due to the yellow
>> color of the spore cases. They can reach 6" in height later in the
>> season. This is a stable population, I have seen them there for
>> several years. Due to their size they are rather hard to find.
>>
>> Here is a photo of the Moonwort Grapefern
>>
>> --
>> Rick Ballard
>> Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada
>> http://www.ideaphore.com

--Boundary_(ID_NhGSRwZ/YvLRb+1VXI1Sjw)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Yes, thanks to Rick for adding that they are rather hard to find. =A0He =
will remember back more than a decade ago when he reported them there, =
and it took me at least three tries to find them -- think of all those =
greenhouse gases just getting there and back three times! =A0Rick was =
very patient with me and eventually described the location etc. well =
MacLean wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
At 07:29 PM 20/06/2009, you wrote:<br> <blockquote type=3D"cite" =
class=3D"cite" cite=3D"">Moonwort Grapeferns , <i>Botrychium =
Lunaria</i>, may be seen along the trail and among the dunes to the =
north of the wooden walkway at Conrad's Beach, on the way to =
Lawrencetown, Halifax Country.<br> According to the Peterson Field Guide =
to Ferns, it is "more common in folklore and fable than in person". This =
time of the year they are mostly 1" to 3" tall, but stand out a bit due =
to the yellow color of the spore cases. They can reach 6" in height =
later in the season. This is a stable population, I have seen them there =
for several years. Due to their size they are rather hard to =
find.<br><br> Here is a photo of the <a =
href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/ideaphore/3645210994/">Moonwort =
Canada <br> <a =
href=3D"http://www.ideaphore.com">http://www.ideaphore.com</a> =

--Boundary_(ID_NhGSRwZ/YvLRb+1VXI1Sjw)--