[NatureNS] Swallows and human activity

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:14:42 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Today I did a 1 hour bicycle ride to do some birding, my favourite
method of combining travel and birding. Anyway, I rode through a field
that during the last three years harboured about 100 bank swallows, but
this year they are gone. The land owner had been 'mining' the sand in a
small hill in his field over those three years and the bank swallows
used the vertical walls of the digs for nesting.  I must admit that the
owner did try to accommodate the swallows during his operation but at
times, nests were destroyed. This year the operation is over, the hill
is gone and the leveled area is back in grain. No bank swallows.

I have put two swallow boxes in a 4 acre field behind my house and
during the last two years we have had tree swallows. This year we have
had two pair and are watching young being fed in the second box. In
spring we watched as four swallows surveyed the boxes but only two
settled in. I put them farther apart this year because last year the
first pair chased off any swallows trying to use the second box.  This
year both boxes have been used but the second box used after the first.
I am not sure if they are new or a second nesting? What is the usual timing?

Anyway, actions of humans have a large effect on swallow populations.
We used to have dozens of tree swallows on our power lines but after the
deptment of highways installed a new bridge of a small stream, they
installed a structure that discouraged swallow nesting... the swallow
population decreased. Also our neighbor had an old barn which housed
many barn swallows. Many years ago he 'fixed' it up with fewer holes and
access, and now no barn swallows are in the area.

I suggest we create nesting sites for these threatened birds.

Larry

--
Larry Bogan  - larry@bogan.ca - www.bogan.ca
Cambridge Station, Nova Scotia