[NatureNS] West Ironbound Island

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:56:57 +0000

--_9d7d025d-44dc-4d85-b297-6ff42d6d9d73_

I was on West Ironbound Island today in respect to another birding event.  =
I also spent the time trying to update Atlas data. =20

=20

The double-crested cormorant colony has fledged all young.  The number of n=
ests has dropped by about 50 percent from last year or better.  A month ago=
 I'm told all nests were occupied.

=20

I've not taken a gull tally yet=2C but most nests had hatched young and you=
ng gulls were everywhere you looked.  A lot of eggs remained unhatched and =
no young greater black-backed gulls were apparent.  Eggs remained as of yet=
 unhatched for this species.  The numbers of greater black-backed gulls nes=
ting were far less then last year and the herring gull numbers appeared lar=
ger.  Anyhow=2C I'll get a more firm estimate when I have time.  I'm sure t=
here were a lot of nests and young that I did not see.

=20

The highlight of the outing was a young great blue heron in the nest.  I es=
timated 7-9 nests last year.  I now believe that that estimate is low.  The=
re appears to be quite a few more nests deeper in.  The cover is heavy with=
 lots of fallen trees=2C so it is virtually impossible to get into where th=
e nests are for an accurate count.  I could hear many young herons calling =
for food and would estimate the nest count at between 15-20.

=20

I again saw and heard male blackpoll warblers and this time a female with a=
 male. =20

=20

Everything else is normal and the same as I've seen during the past three y=
ears.  There is a high population of song sparrows breeding out there. =20

=20

Far fewer black guillemots were seen with only four offshore.

=20

A nice movement of gannets was occurring.  I was not watching all of the ti=
me=2C but there were constantly two or three birds flying by and there was =
one closely compressed group in flight single file of 14.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666046=

--_9d7d025d-44dc-4d85-b297-6ff42d6d9d73_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I was on West Ironbound Island today in respect to another birding event.&n=
bsp=3B I also spent the time trying to update Atlas data.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The double-crested cormorant colony has fledged all young.&nbsp=3B The numb=
er of nests has dropped by about 50 percent from last year or better.&nbsp=
=3B A month ago I'm told all nests were occupied.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I've not taken a gull tally yet=2C but most nests had hatched young and you=
ng gulls were everywhere you looked.&nbsp=3B A lot of eggs remained unhatch=
ed and no young greater black-backed gulls were apparent.&nbsp=3B Eggs rema=
ined as of yet unhatched for this species.&nbsp=3B The numbers of greater b=
lack-backed gulls nesting were far less then last year and the herring gull=
 numbers appeared larger.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C I'll get a more firm estimate w=
hen I have time.&nbsp=3B I'm sure there were a lot of nests and young that =
I did not see.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The highlight of the outing was a young great blue heron in the nest.&nbsp=
=3B I estimated 7-9 nests last year.&nbsp=3B I now believe that that estima=
te is low.&nbsp=3B There appears to be quite a few more nests deeper in.&nb=
sp=3B The cover is heavy with lots of fallen trees=2C so it is virtually im=
possible to get into where the nests are for an accurate count.&nbsp=3B I c=
ould hear many young herons calling for food and would estimate the nest co=
unt at between 15-20.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I again saw and heard male blackpoll warblers and this time a female with a=
 male.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Everything else is normal and the same as I've seen during the past three y=
ears.&nbsp=3B There is a high population of song sparrows breeding out ther=
e.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Far fewer black guillemots were seen with only four offshore.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A&nbsp=3Bnice movement of gannets was occurring.&nbsp=3B I was not watching=
 all of the time=2C but there were constantly two or three birds flying by =
and there was one closely compressed group in flight single file of 14.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR><br /><hr />Attention all humans. We are your photos.  <a href=
=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666044' target=3D'_new'>Free us.</a>=

--_9d7d025d-44dc-4d85-b297-6ff42d6d9d73_--