[NatureNS] Loon Questions

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:22:20 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I don't know of any bird that is routinely exposed to salt water which
doesn't have salt glands in the head (that doesn't mean there aren't
any of course). I think even the one of the sparrows (Seaside Sparrow
?) has them. The Marsh Wren has small ones, Clapper/King Rails have
them. The depressions in the skull, where these glands sit, are very
prominent in loons (both species here have them). I have posted two
views of a loon skull at:
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/343/loonsaltglandfossae.jpg. The arrow
shows the gland's location in lateral view, which isn't the best way
to see it, the red outline in the dorsal view shows the depression
quite well. Although, I'll admit, it's much nicer seeing it in the
flesh (so to speak).

I believe you're right in that avian kidneys are as efficient as
typical mammalian kidneys at least, but I don't think they are the
sole salt excreting organ in any seabird. In other words, I've never
heard of a bird having as efficient a kidney as a whale or seal, for
example.

Not my area of expertise really, but I do dabble in physiology now and again.

Randy

On 10/06/2009, uhoeger@dal.ca <uhoeger@dal.ca> wrote:
> I have on answer and one educated guess to offer.
>
>> Question number one: How do loons excrete saltwater? Is this the same
>> process as in other
>> seabirds? This is when loons over-winter in our saltwater environment or
>> when they spend the
>> summer there. They dive and must take in some saltwater in the process of
>> catching prey items.
>> How is this expelled.
>
> Some pelagic seabirds have salt glands in their heads that help to regulate
> the animals salt balance. All other birds, including loons, have to rely on
> their
> kidneys to regulate their water and salt balance. Avian kidneys are as
> efficient as mammalian kidneys when it comes to the production of highly
> concentrated (salty) urine to minimize water loss.
>

>> Question number two: Loons eat a lot of crabs. How is the carapace of the
>> crab dealt with in
>> respect to digestion?
>
> I guess the same way as gulls, herons, and many other birds.  Material that
> is not digestible (and crab shells likely fall in this category) is
> regurgitated,
> i.e. leaves the body the same way it came in.
>

> Hope that helps
>
> Cheers
>
> Ulli

RF Lauff