[NatureNS] Loon Questions

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:26:47 -0300

I have on answer and one educated guess to offer.

> Question number one: How do loons excrete saltwater? Is this the same process as in other
> seabirds? This is when loons over-winter in our saltwater environment or when they spend the
> summer there. They dive and must take in some saltwater in the process of catching prey items.
> How is this expelled.

Some pelagic seabirds have salt glands in their heads that help to regulate
the animals salt balance. All other birds, including loons, have to rely on their
kidneys to regulate their water and salt balance. Avian kidneys are as
efficient as mammalian kidneys when it comes to the production of highly
concentrated (salty) urine to minimize water loss.

> Question number two: Loons eat a lot of crabs. How is the carapace of the crab dealt with in
> respect to digestion?

I guess the same way as gulls, herons, and many other birds.  Material that
is not digestible (and crab shells likely fall in this category) is regurgitated,
i.e. leaves the body the same way it came in.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Ulli