[NatureNS] Birding by bike

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:05:17 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_034B_01C9E558.2981E070

I've been biking to work from Wolfville to Kentville most mornings on a =
'summer route' I've cobbled together along the old railway line, dyke =
roads, and sand pits that lay between the two towns. It's rough, but =
only 2 km longer than taking the main road (about 15 km). It usually =
takes me an hour longer, however, as the binoculars and notebook seem to =
slow me down. Each week I seem to learn a new bird species or two, =
usually by remembering and identifying the song. When you return to the =
same place at roughly the same time each day you can sort these things =
out by trial and error.

Tuesday was an interesting day. That morning I discovered that the =
raven's nest that I've been watching since early spring had been blown =
to bits in Monday's winds. All the young ravens were milling about in =
nearby trees, very upset and vocal. The red-winged blackbirds seemed to =
be gloating. Further along, the raccoon kits I've also been checking in =
with daily were playing in their tree, undisturbed. Most of the avian =
residents were present in the neighbourhoods where I usually encounter =
them; flickers, blue jays, killdeer, ruby-throated hummingbirds, =
red-eyed vireos, song sparrows, mourning doves, chickadees, goldfinches, =
northern parulas, common yellowthroats, grackles, yellow warblers, =
yellow-rumped warblers, mallards, black ducks, crows, bald eagles, etc. =
It was shaping up into a great morning.

Part way to work, I turned my bike into a gully where the trail I was =
following crosses a stream. As I splashed through and came up the other =
side, I found myself face to face with a young buck. This deer and I =
started at each other for about a minute, both of us frozen in place =
with no more than a canoe-length between us. He flinched first, =
sauntering off, deciding I was nothing to worry about I suppose. Nice =
healthy looking animal, it's horns just starting to push up.

Later that evening, I finally got round to taking my youngest son in to =
see the raccoons in their tree den. All the way in he nattered Star Wars =
and stunt bike trivia at me, which I listened to with as much interest =
as I could manage and punctuated by telling him the names of the birds =
that I was hearing and the flowers and trees we were passing. But when =
we got in to the white pine in question, and he looked up to the cavity =
some 40 feet off the ground and saw the masked faces staring down at =
him, he was fully there in that place and understood that he was seeing =
something special. For the next 15 minutes there was nothing else in the =
world but he and I and the plants and creatures in that magic little =
corner of wilderness.

Best regards,
Andrew Steeves
Wolfville, NS
------=_NextPart_000_034B_01C9E558.2981E070

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've been biking to work from Wolfville to Kentville =
most=20
mornings on a 'summer route' I've cobbled together along the old railway =
line,=20
dyke roads, and sand pits that lay between the two towns. It's rough, =
but only 2=20
km longer than taking the main road (about 15 km). It usually takes me =
an hour=20
longer, however,&nbsp;as the binoculars and notebook seem to slow me =
down. Each=20
week I seem to&nbsp;learn a new bird species or two, usually by =
remembering and=20
identifying the song. When you return to the same place at roughly the =
same=20
time&nbsp;each day you can sort these things out by trial and=20
error.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Tuesday was&nbsp;an interesting day.&nbsp;That =
morning I=20
discovered that the raven's nest that I've been watching since early=20
spring&nbsp;had been blown to bits in Monday's winds. All the&nbsp;young =

ravens&nbsp;were milling about in nearby trees, very upset and vocal. =
The=20
red-winged blackbirds seemed to be gloating. Further along, the raccoon =
kits=20
I've also been checking in with daily were playing in their tree, =
undisturbed.=20
Most of the avian residents were present in the neighbourhoods where I =
usually=20
encounter them; flickers, blue jays, killdeer,&nbsp;ruby-throated=20
hummingbirds,&nbsp;red-eyed vireos, song sparrows, mourning doves, =
chickadees,=20
goldfinches, northern parulas, common yellowthroats, grackles, yellow =
warblers,=20
yellow-rumped warblers, mallards, black ducks, crows, bald eagles, etc. =
It was=20
shaping up into a great morning.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Part way to work, I&nbsp;turned my bike into a gully =
where the=20
trail I was&nbsp;following crosses a stream. As I splashed through and =
came up=20
the other side, I found myself&nbsp;face to face with a&nbsp;young=20
buck.&nbsp;This deer and I started at each other for about a minute, =
both of us=20
frozen in place with no more than a canoe-length between us. He flinched =
first,=20
sauntering off, deciding I was nothing to worry about I suppose. Nice =
healthy=20
looking animal, it's horns just starting to push up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Later that evening, I finally got round to taking my =
youngest=20
son in to see the raccoons in their tree den. All the way in he nattered =
Star=20
Wars and stunt bike trivia at me, which I listened to with as much =
interest as I=20
could manage and punctuated by telling him the names of the birds that I =
was=20
hearing and the flowers and trees we were passing. But when we got in to =
the=20
white pine in question, and he looked up to the cavity some 40 feet off =
the=20
ground and saw the masked faces staring down at him, he was fully there =
in that=20
place and understood that he was seeing something special.&nbsp;For the =
next 15=20
minutes there was nothing else in the world but&nbsp;he and I and the =
plants and=20
creatures in that magic little corner of wilderness.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andrew</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT =
size=3D2>Steeves</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wolfville, NS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_034B_01C9E558.2981E070--