[NatureNS] Re: Sedge Wren on Digby Neck

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:39:18 -0300
From: iamclar@Dal.Ca
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D&lt;/
Al:

I read with interest about the discovery of the singing male Sedge Wren
on Digby
Neck. I believe this is only our sixth report for May. It may be mated, but
there are possibly better reasons for thinking it will be a solitary, hopeful
male.

There are two recent confirmed breedings here, both on Seal I. A NSBS party
dicovered and Don MacNeill photo'd a pair with young there in late August 2002
and last September, Fulton Lavender found two pairs with young in the
same area
of extensive wet sedge cover. Another interesting earlier record was of two
singing males, whose breeding status was not ascertained, in a Yarmouth sedge
marsh in July 1975,

Note the late dates. Recent study indicates that Sedge Wrens nest first almost
entirely within their core breeding range in the US Midwest and into the
Prairie Provinces. Then, having reared this first brood, some fly N. and E.
well beyond this range to produce late second broods. That appears to be what
has happened so far in NS.

It is possible that the  "overshooting" male on Digby Neck was
accompanied by a
female, but it is also possible that it reflects the tendency of males,
especially young adults, to wander more widely in migration. Remember
that this
spring there have been many "southern" overshoots, and mostly males
(think - buntings and tanagers) and that Sedge Wrens are night
migrants, readilty swept
up by similar meteorological events.

It would indeed be very interesting to determine the breeding status of this
male and, in agreement with Wayne, that this can be done with care.

Cheers, Ian

Ian McLaren