[NatureNS] Garter Snake, + rats, wasps, thrashers and baby birds

Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 10:36:11 -0300
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e644b99eafb2de046aa89388

Our first house in Kentville was close to the Cornwallis River. We had
several rats that got into the basement toilet, presumably through the
sewere pipe. We would occasionally find drowned ones actually in the toilet,
and on one occasion we had a scene like something out of Lady and the Tramp.
When our older son was about 1 year old, and sleeping upstairs, the dog we
had at the time caught and killed a rat that was heading in that direction
from the basement. Lucky Tom and dog!

We have had a problem with Hornet's nests being built on our property in the
last couple of years, so we have bought some things called Waspinators -
they look like Hornets' nests, and apparently if you hang them near where
hornets might build, they will build elsewhere, as they don't like their
nests to be too close together. We'll see if it works. Last summer I had to
dress up as if I were treating a case of Sars, and then spray an active
hornet's nest with raid, so we could get into the rose garden. However, we
have Yellojackets too, so I'm not sre where they're nesting yet.

The Brown Thrasher briefly visited the back yard this morning (maybe they
eat hornets!).

We have noticed that our local nesting Grackles appear be carrying off newly
fledged Robins, and in turn their newly fledged chicks are being carried off
by Crows.

We have had both Chickadees and Tree Swllows investigate a nest box that we
have put up, but none have so far actually nested.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e644b99eafb2de046aa89388

Our first house in Kentville was close to the Cornwallis River. We had seve=
ral rats that got into the basement toilet, presumably through the sewere p=
ipe. We would occasionally find drowned ones actually in the toilet, and on=
 one occasion we had a scene like something out of Lady and the Tramp. When=
 our older son was about 1 year old, and sleeping upstairs, the dog we had =
at the time caught and killed a rat that was heading in that direction from=
 the basement. Lucky Tom and dog!<br>
ty in the last couple of years, so we have bought some things called Waspin=
ators - they look like Hornets&#39; nests, and apparently if you hang them =
near where hornets might build, they will build elsewhere, as they don&#39;=
t like their nests to be too close together. We&#39;ll see if it works. Las=
t summer I had to dress up as if I were treating a case of Sars, and then s=
pray an active hornet&#39;s nest with raid, so we could get into the rose g=
arden. However, we have Yellojackets too, so I&#39;m not sre where they&#39=
;re nesting yet.<br>
ey eat hornets!).<br><br>We have noticed that our local nesting Grackles ap=
pear be carrying off newly fledged Robins, and in turn their newly fledged =
chicks are being carried off by Crows.<br>
s Codling <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.=
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">They are true sto=
ries, Liz. =A0We know very reliable people in Dartmouth who had this happen=
. =A0The toilet was in the basement, and they found water leading from it t=
o other parts of their finished basement. =A0They had to trap the rat.<br>
Elizabeth Doull wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Maybe you need plumbing to put in a screen in the toilet pipe?? =A0I have h=
eard of stories about rats coming up from below. =A0Not a cheerful thought!=
 =A0 liz<br>
iams, NS, Canada<br>
B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail=

--0016e644b99eafb2de046aa89388--